SIR – As a resident of London Colney for 26 years, I am appalled, disgusted, and absolutely dumbfounded at the way the planning meeting was run to dtermine the fate of the London Colney mosque. For such an official meeting it was amateurish to say the lea
SIR - As a resident of London Colney for 26 years, I am appalled, disgusted, and absolutely dumbfounded at the way the planning meeting was run to dtermine the fate of the London Colney mosque. For such an official meeting it was amateurish to say the least.
It appears to me the meeting was very underhand and indecisive in what it was supposed to do, and the decision appears to have been decided before the meeting took place. Why was the application for the mosque not deferred until a replacement for Chris Brazier was found?
Why was it that one councillor was allowed to continue speaking when the chairman was not even listening, he was in conversation with another officer. He then asked her to continue not realising she had finished her speech.
As far as I am concerned the chairman was not and is not fit to run such a high profile and sensitive meeting and should consider, along with the director of planning, standing down from their positions.
You may also want to watch:
The way the meeting was run has played into the hands of the BNP, especially with a local by-election coming up.
This is another nail in the coffin and the continuation of the gradual decline of the village. Along with the HGVs and litter along the highways, London Colney has become the dumping ground for all that is not wanted.
- 1 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 2 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 3 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 4 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 5 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 6 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 7 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 8 Property Spotlight: A spacious family home in Harpenden's prestigious West Common
- 9 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 10 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
Thanks to the councillors, they have probably devalued and made it harder for me and others to sell our properties in Lowbell Lane and the surrounding area. Who is going to want to buy a house next to a mosque? Will I be compensated for this, oh no! Why don't you come down and see for yourself the area and the road?
Will they still live in your lovely houses, without having there life ruined by a mosque at the bottom of the road. Definitely! Will I be able to use this facility? No.
The planning committee have all fallen into the trap and bowed to political pressure to provide suitable accommodation for these people and their religion. Where will all this stop?
Why put something like this, in a residential area. Why? They have just increased the racial tension and upset and angered the vast majority of fair-minded, hard-working residents of this area of London Colney. This was not democracy.
As I said earlier London Colney has become a dumping ground, and as long as it is not in your backyard!
Lowbell Lane, London Colney