SIR — I fear you omitted some famous names in your list of district heroes who should be celebrated in a new museum, and in the case of Mike Newell, while you mentioned the Harry Potter film, his greatest achievement, in many people s opinion, was as dir
SIR - I fear you omitted some famous names in your list of district heroes who should be celebrated in a new museum, and in the case of Mike Newell, while you mentioned the Harry Potter film, his greatest achievement, in many people's opinion, was as director of Four Weddings And A Funeral.
Other entertainers from the 1960s who you omitted are Donovan (not his son Jason) - we used to drink with him at the Cock in St Peters Street - we were also good friends of Tim Hart and Maddy Prior, better known as Steeleye Span.
Tim Hart was the son of the Reverend Hart of St Saviour's in Sandpit Lane, not Hart Synot who was the vicar of St Stephens.
Maddy Prior was the daughter Allan Prior, the TV script writer who you did mention. I believe the group The Zombies were also St Albans lads.
You may also want to watch:
Closest to my interest are two of the St Albans Swinson family, my father Cyril, who wrote both the 1948 and 1952 St Albans pageants and was also pageant master, and Arthur Swinson who wrote several books and many TV scripts, some I believe with Allan Prior.
- 1 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 2 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 3 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 4 'This was quite an emotional experience!' - Thanks to Covid vaccination teams from the people they have treated
- 5 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 6 Raise a glass to the local brewers facing up to the challenges of lockdown
- 7 Property Spotlight: A stunning period conversion in central St Albans
- 8 Lockdown life to be recorded in two museums projects
- 9 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 10 West Herts midwives to take to the skies in NHS charity skydive
Cambridge Road, St Albans