SIR — I fear you omitted some famous names in your list of district heroes who should be celebrated in a new museum, and in the case of Mike Newell, while you mentioned the Harry Potter film, his greatest achievement, in many people s opinion, was as dir
SIR - I fear you omitted some famous names in your list of district heroes who should be celebrated in a new museum, and in the case of Mike Newell, while you mentioned the Harry Potter film, his greatest achievement, in many people's opinion, was as director of Four Weddings And A Funeral.
Other entertainers from the 1960s who you omitted are Donovan (not his son Jason) - we used to drink with him at the Cock in St Peters Street - we were also good friends of Tim Hart and Maddy Prior, better known as Steeleye Span.
Tim Hart was the son of the Reverend Hart of St Saviour's in Sandpit Lane, not Hart Synot who was the vicar of St Stephens.
Maddy Prior was the daughter Allan Prior, the TV script writer who you did mention. I believe the group The Zombies were also St Albans lads.
You may also want to watch:
Closest to my interest are two of the St Albans Swinson family, my father Cyril, who wrote both the 1948 and 1952 St Albans pageants and was also pageant master, and Arthur Swinson who wrote several books and many TV scripts, some I believe with Allan Prior.
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo
- 6 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 7 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 8 At last! St Albans is back in business as shops re-open
- 9 Colney Heath in line for promotion after FA decide to restructure non-league pyramid
- 10 Major redevelopment underway at St Albans office building
Cambridge Road, St Albans