SIR — I fear you omitted some famous names in your list of district heroes who should be celebrated in a new museum, and in the case of Mike Newell, while you mentioned the Harry Potter film, his greatest achievement, in many people s opinion, was as dir
SIR - I fear you omitted some famous names in your list of district heroes who should be celebrated in a new museum, and in the case of Mike Newell, while you mentioned the Harry Potter film, his greatest achievement, in many people's opinion, was as director of Four Weddings And A Funeral.
Other entertainers from the 1960s who you omitted are Donovan (not his son Jason) - we used to drink with him at the Cock in St Peters Street - we were also good friends of Tim Hart and Maddy Prior, better known as Steeleye Span.
Tim Hart was the son of the Reverend Hart of St Saviour's in Sandpit Lane, not Hart Synot who was the vicar of St Stephens.
Maddy Prior was the daughter Allan Prior, the TV script writer who you did mention. I believe the group The Zombies were also St Albans lads.
Closest to my interest are two of the St Albans Swinson family, my father Cyril, who wrote both the 1948 and 1952 St Albans pageants and was also pageant master, and Arthur Swinson who wrote several books and many TV scripts, some I believe with Allan Prior.
- 1 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 3 Building company resurfaces bridleway to provide safe route for riders and walkers
- 4 St Albans shop showcasing small independents by renting out shelves
- 5 See inside this loft style apartment in a former hat factory
- 6 Train timetable shakeup due in St Albans and Watford from May 15
- 7 Foodies queue to try street food sourced, cooked and served in Herts
- 8 MoonWalk success for the St Albans cancer survivor and her Belgian Buns
- 9 Company of Ten's A Bunch of Amateurs production 'milks the comedy for all its worth' at the Abbey Theatre
- 10 Woman found in canal near M25 in Hertfordshire
Cambridge Road, St Albans