SIR, — With regards to the repair of our roads, can someone explain to me the economies of using one contractor for the whole of the county. Monopolies never work, — ask any businessman. We have the worst road surfaces in the country, bar none. If you tra
SIR, - With regards to the repair of our roads, can someone explain to me the economies of using one contractor for the whole of the county. Monopolies never work, - ask any businessman.
We have the worst road surfaces in the country, bar none. If you travel around as I do, you will understand.
Other authorities, especially in the north-London area, resurface hundreds of yards of their roads at night - St Johns Wood to Swiss Cottage being one example while we in Herts have to put up with restrictions for weeks on end. The A414 is a prime example.
Surely it would be more economic to employ different contractors for different jobs with time restrictions included in their contract. That way maybe we would not have the current closures and restrictions.
You may also want to watch:
Minister Court, Frogmore.
- 1 Battle of St Albans appears on new Wars of the Roses stamp
- 2 University student digs World War One trench in St Albans garden for film project close to his heart
- 3 Parish council reveals £250K financial scandal over 11 years
- 4 Knife found in churchyard by litter pickers
- 5 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 6 Harpenden and Radlett rail passengers able to use barcode readers at stations
- 7 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 8 More records and impressive runs for St Albans Striders
- 9 Teen suicide prevention charity appoints first ambassador