SIR –Eleanor Clark hits the nail on the head with her criticism of the council s plans for Westmin-ster Lodge (Letters December 3). Paid for with public money, the new leisure centre should be designed to cater for as many as possible within the local com
SIR -Eleanor Clark hits the nail on the head with her criticism of the council's plans for Westmin-ster Lodge (Letters December 3).
Paid for with public money, the new leisure centre should be designed to cater for as many as possible within the local community. Anyone who visited the pool over the summer holidays will appreciate just how popular the diving boards and flumes are with younger people, yet they are going to miss out in favour of facilities that have a much narrower appeal.
Furthermore, this is in a city that already lacks many of the things which young people elsewhere take for granted - a cinema, skating rink or bowling alley, for example.
'Economic reality' may be cited as the reason for these decisions, but given the amount of space given over to a caf� in the new plans, it is hard to see the commercial sense in axing the most popular features of the current Westminster Lodge. Local families looking for a bit more fun from the their swimming session will be forced to head elsewhere - and take the money they would be spending in the caf� with them.
You may also want to watch:
Good news for swimming centres in Hatfield and Hemel, no doubt, but not for St Albans residents who are footing the bill for the new Westminster Lodge.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 4 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
Walton Street, St Albans