SIR –Eleanor Clark hits the nail on the head with her criticism of the council s plans for Westmin-ster Lodge (Letters December 3). Paid for with public money, the new leisure centre should be designed to cater for as many as possible within the local com
SIR -Eleanor Clark hits the nail on the head with her criticism of the council's plans for Westmin-ster Lodge (Letters December 3).
Paid for with public money, the new leisure centre should be designed to cater for as many as possible within the local community. Anyone who visited the pool over the summer holidays will appreciate just how popular the diving boards and flumes are with younger people, yet they are going to miss out in favour of facilities that have a much narrower appeal.
Furthermore, this is in a city that already lacks many of the things which young people elsewhere take for granted - a cinema, skating rink or bowling alley, for example.
'Economic reality' may be cited as the reason for these decisions, but given the amount of space given over to a caf� in the new plans, it is hard to see the commercial sense in axing the most popular features of the current Westminster Lodge. Local families looking for a bit more fun from the their swimming session will be forced to head elsewhere - and take the money they would be spending in the caf� with them.
Good news for swimming centres in Hatfield and Hemel, no doubt, but not for St Albans residents who are footing the bill for the new Westminster Lodge.
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 3 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 4 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 5 St Albans Pub Pride: Why we need to tackle monkeypox prejudice
- 6 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 7 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 8 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
Walton Street, St Albans