SIR - In a recent edition of the Herts Advertiser (June 4) you carried a letter that suggested to residents of Gurney Court Road that St Albans District Council had left them to the mercy of Orange. This is far from the case. At a meeting of Plans Central
SIR - In a recent edition of the Herts Advertiser (June 4) you carried a letter that suggested to residents of Gurney Court Road that St Albans District Council had left them to the mercy of Orange.
This is far from the case. At a meeting of Plans Central (April 6 ) the application for a mast in Guerney Court Road was refused by the committee contrary to the officers' recommendation to grant. The reasons for refusal were visual impact, intrusive nature and the failure of Orange to demonstrate that there were not more suitable alternative locations.
Orange now have the right to appeal the decision to the Government Inspectorate and we will defend the committee's democratic right to determine this application in the way they did. We may win the appeal or lose it but we have not abandoned the residents.
We have now put in place a policy that where STADC are landowners we can refuse mast applications.
You may also want to watch:
Unfortunately Herts County Council does not have such a policy in place when it comes to land they own. If they did they would be able to refuse telephone mast applications on such sites as Gurney Court Road as landowners.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Haunting music and ghostly maids - the dark streets of St Albans
- 4 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 7 A New York state of mind
- 8 Divers to visit de Havilland Aircraft Museum to see 'bouncing bomb' they raised from a Scottish loch
- 9 Springfield Farm: Student party plan blocked by council
- 10 Sir David Amess: St Albans MP reflects on personal safety
Lib Dem County Cllr for The Colneys