SIR – While I am very pleased for the people in Batford Road, Harpenden, that their noisy manhole cover has been quietened, your story (Herts Advertiser, December 3) raises interesting points. Firstly, bearing in mind that rattling manhole covers must hav
SIR - While I am very pleased for the people in Batford Road, Harpenden, that their noisy manhole cover has been quietened, your story (Herts Advertiser, December 3) raises interesting points.
Firstly, bearing in mind that rattling manhole covers must have been a problem since shortly after the first one was installed, what have been the remedies up until now?
Hasn't there been a satisfactory cure produced in the UK?
Secondly, assuming that no product other than the reportedly South African one was deemed fit for purpose, must we assume that whoever placed the order didn't know how they could be installed?
You may also want to watch:
Wouldn't it have been less expensive having him/her instruct the 12 contractors rather than flying someone from Africa to here?
Or perhaps they haven't been tested and it is just a trial, with all costs picked up by the manufacturer?
- 1 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 St Albans nursery given six weeks' notice warning of potential closure
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 In Pictures: Harpenden Farmers' Market back on the Common
- 6 Do you remember when The Inbetweeners came to St Albans?
- 7 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 8 Urgent care services at St Albans hospital could become appointment only
- 9 Revealed: The areas of Hertfordshire with the most consistent house price growth
- 10 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
In which case why go to the expense of instructing so many contractors when only the purchaser needed convincing?
I'm not sure I understand any of the logic.
Could someone from Hertfordshire Highways kindly explain?
I'm sure we will all be happy to hear that other such noisy manhole covers can and will be cured throughout the UK.
Will Hertfordshire Highways act as sole agent for the supplier?
Church End, Sandridge