SIR – While I am very pleased for the people in Batford Road, Harpenden, that their noisy manhole cover has been quietened, your story (Herts Advertiser, December 3) raises interesting points. Firstly, bearing in mind that rattling manhole covers must hav
SIR - While I am very pleased for the people in Batford Road, Harpenden, that their noisy manhole cover has been quietened, your story (Herts Advertiser, December 3) raises interesting points.
Firstly, bearing in mind that rattling manhole covers must have been a problem since shortly after the first one was installed, what have been the remedies up until now?
Hasn't there been a satisfactory cure produced in the UK?
Secondly, assuming that no product other than the reportedly South African one was deemed fit for purpose, must we assume that whoever placed the order didn't know how they could be installed?
You may also want to watch:
Wouldn't it have been less expensive having him/her instruct the 12 contractors rather than flying someone from Africa to here?
Or perhaps they haven't been tested and it is just a trial, with all costs picked up by the manufacturer?
- 1 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 2 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 3 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 4 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 5 6 movies to watch on TV this week made in Herts
- 6 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 7 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 8 Tributes paid to former St Albans City goalkeeper Lee Bozier
- 9 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 10 Sandridge student takes on running challenge for Mind
In which case why go to the expense of instructing so many contractors when only the purchaser needed convincing?
I'm not sure I understand any of the logic.
Could someone from Hertfordshire Highways kindly explain?
I'm sure we will all be happy to hear that other such noisy manhole covers can and will be cured throughout the UK.
Will Hertfordshire Highways act as sole agent for the supplier?
Church End, Sandridge