SIR – While I am very pleased for the people in Batford Road, Harpenden, that their noisy manhole cover has been quietened, your story (Herts Advertiser, December 3) raises interesting points. Firstly, bearing in mind that rattling manhole covers must hav
SIR - While I am very pleased for the people in Batford Road, Harpenden, that their noisy manhole cover has been quietened, your story (Herts Advertiser, December 3) raises interesting points.
Firstly, bearing in mind that rattling manhole covers must have been a problem since shortly after the first one was installed, what have been the remedies up until now?
Hasn't there been a satisfactory cure produced in the UK?
Secondly, assuming that no product other than the reportedly South African one was deemed fit for purpose, must we assume that whoever placed the order didn't know how they could be installed?
You may also want to watch:
Wouldn't it have been less expensive having him/her instruct the 12 contractors rather than flying someone from Africa to here?
Or perhaps they haven't been tested and it is just a trial, with all costs picked up by the manufacturer?
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 8 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 9 Charity clothes swap raises thousands for mental health charity
- 10 A New York state of mind
In which case why go to the expense of instructing so many contractors when only the purchaser needed convincing?
I'm not sure I understand any of the logic.
Could someone from Hertfordshire Highways kindly explain?
I'm sure we will all be happy to hear that other such noisy manhole covers can and will be cured throughout the UK.
Will Hertfordshire Highways act as sole agent for the supplier?
Church End, Sandridge