SIR – While I am very pleased for the people in Batford Road, Harpenden, that their noisy manhole cover has been quietened, your story (Herts Advertiser, December 3) raises interesting points. Firstly, bearing in mind that rattling manhole covers must hav
SIR - While I am very pleased for the people in Batford Road, Harpenden, that their noisy manhole cover has been quietened, your story (Herts Advertiser, December 3) raises interesting points.
Firstly, bearing in mind that rattling manhole covers must have been a problem since shortly after the first one was installed, what have been the remedies up until now?
Hasn't there been a satisfactory cure produced in the UK?
Secondly, assuming that no product other than the reportedly South African one was deemed fit for purpose, must we assume that whoever placed the order didn't know how they could be installed?
Wouldn't it have been less expensive having him/her instruct the 12 contractors rather than flying someone from Africa to here?
Or perhaps they haven't been tested and it is just a trial, with all costs picked up by the manufacturer?
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 3 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 4 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
- 5 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 6 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 7 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 8 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 9 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
- 10 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
In which case why go to the expense of instructing so many contractors when only the purchaser needed convincing?
I'm not sure I understand any of the logic.
Could someone from Hertfordshire Highways kindly explain?
I'm sure we will all be happy to hear that other such noisy manhole covers can and will be cured throughout the UK.
Will Hertfordshire Highways act as sole agent for the supplier?
Church End, Sandridge