Lost play area
SIR – An application has been submitted to build 14 flats on an open green space behind the Watersplash Court flats on the Thamesdale estate, London Colney. This is planning application 5/09/2542 by Frogmore Properties Ltd. which I understand is a subsidi
SIR - An application has been submitted to build 14 flats on an open green space behind the Watersplash Court flats on the Thamesdale estate, London Colney. This is planning application 5/09/2542 by Frogmore Properties Ltd. which I understand is a subsidiary of Fairview Ltd.
Despite the dismissal by an inspector of an attempt last year to build these flats it appears that the company can keep coming back time and again.
Obviously the residents will continue to oppose these attempts but it seems unreasonable that they can continue indefinitely. It appears that even a Secretary of State is unable to protect the only substantial open green space on the Thamesdale estate.
In 1975 the then Secretary of State agreed that the space could only be used for recreational purposes. Why did the St Albans District Council not ensure that this area was safeguarded as a public amenity space?
You may also want to watch:
In gathering evidence to oppose the proposal I have been given a copy of an article from the Herts Advertiser dated August 31, 1981, entitled 'Mystery of the "lost" play area". It would seem that it is still lost.
There are, at present, a number of developers looking to fill up every square metre of space with more flats on the Thamesdale estate. At the same time there does not appear to be an adequate means of protecting the quality of life of existing residents. I would be grateful if any of your readers who used to live on the estate could supply evidence of amenity use of the kick-about area referred to above. I understand that we need more housing in the district but we also need open spaces to be retained for public recreation, especially when that is what was promised all those years ago.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 4 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 5 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 6 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 7 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
Thamesdale, London Colney