Lost play area
SIR – An application has been submitted to build 14 flats on an open green space behind the Watersplash Court flats on the Thamesdale estate, London Colney. This is planning application 5/09/2542 by Frogmore Properties Ltd. which I understand is a subsidi
SIR - An application has been submitted to build 14 flats on an open green space behind the Watersplash Court flats on the Thamesdale estate, London Colney. This is planning application 5/09/2542 by Frogmore Properties Ltd. which I understand is a subsidiary of Fairview Ltd.
Despite the dismissal by an inspector of an attempt last year to build these flats it appears that the company can keep coming back time and again.
Obviously the residents will continue to oppose these attempts but it seems unreasonable that they can continue indefinitely. It appears that even a Secretary of State is unable to protect the only substantial open green space on the Thamesdale estate.
In 1975 the then Secretary of State agreed that the space could only be used for recreational purposes. Why did the St Albans District Council not ensure that this area was safeguarded as a public amenity space?
In gathering evidence to oppose the proposal I have been given a copy of an article from the Herts Advertiser dated August 31, 1981, entitled 'Mystery of the "lost" play area". It would seem that it is still lost.
There are, at present, a number of developers looking to fill up every square metre of space with more flats on the Thamesdale estate. At the same time there does not appear to be an adequate means of protecting the quality of life of existing residents. I would be grateful if any of your readers who used to live on the estate could supply evidence of amenity use of the kick-about area referred to above. I understand that we need more housing in the district but we also need open spaces to be retained for public recreation, especially when that is what was promised all those years ago.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 3 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 4 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 5 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 6 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
- 7 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 8 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 9 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 10 St Albans Striders shine as Midweek Road Race League makes welcome return
Thamesdale, London Colney