SIR, — The story on life expectancy figures (Herts Advertiser, October 16) was puzzling. Figures tabulated in the Primary Care Trust s survey on life expectancy had been the outcome not only of those defined in some areas slightly differently in order to
SIR, - The story on life expectancy figures (Herts Advertiser, October 16) was puzzling. Figures tabulated in the Primary Care Trust's survey on life expectancy had been the outcome not only of those "defined in some areas slightly differently in order to standardise numbers" but also by cutting one area out altogether.
Was Harpenden East disqualified for some reason? Or was its omission deliberate? This ward is probably one of the most balanced in terms of social and economic equality and might well have beaten South Harpenden in the life expectancy table.
However, if as claimed, living conditions and affluence have a bearing on life expectancy, residents of West Harpenden would surely have been far ahead of all the others in the table.
This appears not to be so for it is only fourth.
You may also want to watch:
Pigeonwick, Harpenden (East).
- 1 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 2 Flashmob celebrates re-opening of St Albans high street
- 3 What are our district's cases like now lockdown restrictions have eased?
- 4 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 5 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 6 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 7 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 8 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 9 St Albans-based pharmacy association celebrates centenary
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area