SIR, — Re the letter from Peter Willsohn concerning the closure of the Post Office in Station Road North. I do not see how somebody who lives in one of the furthest points south of Harpenden has any right to say that people who live in the locality of thi
SIR, - Re the letter from Peter Willsohn concerning the closure of the Post Office in Station Road North. I do not see how somebody who lives in one of the furthest points south of Harpenden has any right to say that people who live in the locality of this post office do not know of its existence.
The post office has been on this site for over 120 years and is clearly signed as a post office. It has been continuously used by myself, my parents, grandparents and other relatives for over 80 years.
The main Harpenden Post Office which Mr Willsohn refers to is another 1,496 yards up the hill from Station Road North post office, which I do not compute as being only a few hundred yards, especially for the elderly and disabled.
This would add another 2,992 yards (1.3 miles) on to the post office journey which could have already been at least 880 yards each way.
You may also want to watch:
Where does Mr Willsohn propose that customers who have a vehicle park to use the main office? Street parking is very limited and people who use the bus would need half-a-day's outing by the time they have queued at the post office and waited for the buses.
A lot of businesses in the locality also use Station Road North post office on a daily basis This would therefore cause them to use vehicles to visit the main office leading to more congestion on the already busy roads and not help with keeping the carbon footprint down.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 5 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 6 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
MRS R.A. CROFTS,
Viaduct Cottages, East Hyde.