SIR – On reading the letter from Daniel Allison regarding litter (Herts Advertiser, July 30), it occurred to me that I could go one better on this subject. I was walking my two dogs along the wooded area at the back of where I live, when I noticed a large
SIR - On reading the letter from Daniel Allison regarding litter (Herts Advertiser, July 30), it occurred to me that I could go one better on this subject.
I was walking my two dogs along the wooded area at the back of where I live, when I noticed a large empty whiskey bottle which had been thrown into the brambles. As I went to retrieve it I became aware, to my horror, of a similar one which had been smashed to pieces, its glass strewn all over the footpath. I hadn't noticed this at first because of the transparency of the glass, but now I observed huge, jagged chunks lying all around.
I quickly picked up the dogs and took them straight home (much to their surprise). I then got together the necessary implements to hurry back and clear it all up before some other poor unsuspecting dog had his paws cut to ribbons, if that hadn't already happened.
Certainly, I think that these waste-of-space individuals who cause so much strife to our society should be fined heavily, and that goes for fly tipping as well.
How often have I seen this along some of our lovely country lanes? But the problem, of course, is catching these unethical people.
I'd have no compunction anyway about reporting them if I knew who they were. It's so unfair on those of us who try our best to conform for the benefit of our fellow beings. If 'I', why not 'they' you have to ask.
- 1 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 2 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
- 4 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 5 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 6 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 7 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 8 Peregrine falcon chick hatches at St Albans Cathedral in a city first
- 9 5 things you might not have known about Herts county council's new chairman
- 10 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire