SIR – On reading the letter from Daniel Allison regarding litter (Herts Advertiser, July 30), it occurred to me that I could go one better on this subject. I was walking my two dogs along the wooded area at the back of where I live, when I noticed a large
SIR - On reading the letter from Daniel Allison regarding litter (Herts Advertiser, July 30), it occurred to me that I could go one better on this subject.
I was walking my two dogs along the wooded area at the back of where I live, when I noticed a large empty whiskey bottle which had been thrown into the brambles. As I went to retrieve it I became aware, to my horror, of a similar one which had been smashed to pieces, its glass strewn all over the footpath. I hadn't noticed this at first because of the transparency of the glass, but now I observed huge, jagged chunks lying all around.
I quickly picked up the dogs and took them straight home (much to their surprise). I then got together the necessary implements to hurry back and clear it all up before some other poor unsuspecting dog had his paws cut to ribbons, if that hadn't already happened.
Certainly, I think that these waste-of-space individuals who cause so much strife to our society should be fined heavily, and that goes for fly tipping as well.
You may also want to watch:
How often have I seen this along some of our lovely country lanes? But the problem, of course, is catching these unethical people.
I'd have no compunction anyway about reporting them if I knew who they were. It's so unfair on those of us who try our best to conform for the benefit of our fellow beings. If 'I', why not 'they' you have to ask.
- 1 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 2 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
- 3 Two St Albans women recognised as inspirational entrepreneurs
- 4 Blocked drain at St Albans junction still not cleared months after it was first reported
- 5 'Nothing will take away what she has done to our daughter'
- 6 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 7 Future of St Albans Half Marathon secured as 2021 date set
- 8 District's weekly COVID-19 figures fall for first time since third national lockdown introduced
- 9 Thameslink teams up with community in Harpenden to support vaccine drive
- 10 Tributes paid to former St Albans City goalkeeper Lee Bozier