SIR — Well, the schools are back in operation after the summer hols! Yippee!! The streets around our neighbourhood have been very quiet of late, probably due to families escaping the horrors of this ghastly, cold, wet summer we have had and flying off to
SIR - Well, the schools are back in operation after the summer hols! Yippee!!
The streets around our neighbourhood have been very quiet of late, probably due to families escaping the horrors of this ghastly, cold, wet summer we have had and flying off to warmer climes.
I can tell that the schools have re-opened because suddenly, effective Tuesday, September 2, Hatfield Road and the entrance to Wynches Farm Drive and Longacres, St Albans, are once again strewn with litter. It has been relatively nice to walk these routes and collect only a couple of bags of cans, chip wrappers, crisp packets, McDonald's drinks cartons etc per week (dropped, presumably by uncaring louts). Now, I suppose that we will be back to collecting at least one bag a day from the entrance to Wynches Farm Drive alone.
Please, please heads of schools, tell your charges that I am fed up to the back teeth with picking up their rubbish and that if they ever wish to grow up into responsible members of our society they need to develop a sense of respect for the community.
Further, wouldn't it be nice if the powers that be put more litter bins along Hatfield Road - but I suppose they will not do this for the simple reason that the average litter lout would rather dump his/her rubbish on the path next to said receptacle
- 1 Former Harpenden primary school teacher jailed for 138 years
- 2 Elderly woman chased knife-wielding stranger from her bedroom
- 3 Man seen walking 'naked from waist down' in Harpenden
- 4 Platinum Jubilee: Hertfordshire's royal visits in pictures
- 5 St Albans Pub Pride: Why we need to tackle monkeypox prejudice
- 6 Armed police seize machete from Sandpit Lane in St Albans
- 7 St Albans skatepark inviting newcomers to join community
- 8 Police probe into death of man in 20s at 'Kinky Towers' in Hertfordshire
- 9 Rapist jailed for 15 years after kidnapping teen in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 Hertfordshire teen bullying victim given royal honour
Wynches Farm Drive, St Albans.