SIR, — I send my congratulations to Francis Bacon School on their recent Ofsted report (Herts Advertiser letters, March 26). However, as an ex-pupil of Francis Bacon, and after having spent two hours of my Sunday afternoon with a fellow neighbour picking
SIR, - I send my congratulations to Francis Bacon School on their recent Ofsted report (Herts Advertiser letters, March 26). However, as an ex-pupil of Francis Bacon, and after having spent two hours of my Sunday afternoon with a fellow neighbour picking up rubbish along London Road bordering Birklands Park where we live, may I make a couple of suggestions.
Firstly, a sponsored collection of rubbish would have been more effective and at least local residents would have seen a benefit. Maybe after having picked up sacks of crisp packets, chocolate wrappers, coke cans and fast food holders, they might think twice about dropping litter.
I would suggest that 90 per cent of the rubbish we collected was dropped by Francis Bacon students. My husband tried to reprimand some students he observed dropping rubbish only to be told, "that's what my Dad pays his council tax for".
In my day at Francis Bacon we were taught not to drop rubbish in the first place and secondly to respect our elders. I'm sure nothing will change and next weekend we'll be picking up the rubbish thrown over our fence into our woodland. I'll look on the positive side - at least I'm getting some exercise.
You may also want to watch:
Birklands Park, St Albans.
- 1 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running
- 4 'Life-changing and life-enhancing' - St Albans woman reveals impact of Duke of Edinburgh award
- 5 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 6 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 7 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 8 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 What are our district's cases like now lockdown restrictions have eased?