SIR – On Saturday, September 26, I attended the presentation of certificates to around 80 children at St Albans library. The certificates recorded the completion of Quest Seekers. Quest Seekers was the name given to the six week summer holiday reading cha
SIR - On Saturday, September 26, I attended the presentation of certificates to around 80 children at St Albans library.
The certificates recorded the completion of Quest Seekers. Quest Seekers was the name given to the six week summer holiday reading challenge. The challenge being to read six books in six weeks. Over 800 children signed up to this with 430 completing.
It was obvious from the attendance that both children and parents were happy to come along and be presented with a medal and certificate. I think credit must go to the library staff who support this scheme by listening to the children discuss what they liked or did not like about their reading books.
I do think St Albans library is a wonderful community resource. I am a frequent visitor with my daughter and have come to see the important role it provides. Many people use the library not only for books but as a place to feel less alone. Often I hear the staff listen to customers talking about their lives or wanting assistance with a problem.
I think it works because it is a library and people feel less stigmatised. It seems most people feel free to walk through a library door, for a book, for the heat or for company.
Thank you to the staff who facilitate this provision.
- 1 Comment: Sad times as St Albans faces the loss of another pub
- 2 St Albans restaurant wins big in Curry Oscars
- 3 Founding CAMRA pub is on the market
- 4 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 5 Property Spotlight: A stunning pub conversion in central St Albans
- 6 Boreham Wood 4-0 St Albans City: FA Cup fairy tale comes to an end for The Saints
- 7 Rearranged waste and recycling bin collection dates for Christmas and January in St Albans
- 8 Allinson ‘immensely proud’ despite St Albans City’s FA Cup exit
- 9 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 10 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
Eskdale, London Colney