SIR – On Saturday, September 26, I attended the presentation of certificates to around 80 children at St Albans library. The certificates recorded the completion of Quest Seekers. Quest Seekers was the name given to the six week summer holiday reading cha
SIR - On Saturday, September 26, I attended the presentation of certificates to around 80 children at St Albans library.
The certificates recorded the completion of Quest Seekers. Quest Seekers was the name given to the six week summer holiday reading challenge. The challenge being to read six books in six weeks. Over 800 children signed up to this with 430 completing.
It was obvious from the attendance that both children and parents were happy to come along and be presented with a medal and certificate. I think credit must go to the library staff who support this scheme by listening to the children discuss what they liked or did not like about their reading books.
I do think St Albans library is a wonderful community resource. I am a frequent visitor with my daughter and have come to see the important role it provides. Many people use the library not only for books but as a place to feel less alone. Often I hear the staff listen to customers talking about their lives or wanting assistance with a problem.
You may also want to watch:
I think it works because it is a library and people feel less stigmatised. It seems most people feel free to walk through a library door, for a book, for the heat or for company.
Thank you to the staff who facilitate this provision.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 3 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 4 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 5 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 Parents condemn Oaklands' decision to close nursery as a 'travesty'
- 8 In pictures: World's last 'truly wild' horse at Whipsnade Zoo
- 9 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 10 New campaign highlights Abbey Line hidden gems
Eskdale, London Colney