SIR – Re: the Fleetville Library planning application. I am one of a number of local young people with physical disabilities who for the last five years have been involved with the Castle Project. This was set up as there is no accessible independent-livi
SIR - Re: the Fleetville Library planning application. I am one of a number of local young people with physical disabilities who for the last five years have been involved with the Castle Project. This was set up as there is no accessible independent-living housing anywhere in Herts that is suitable for wheelchair users.
Ability Housing Association have worked with us to identify suitable sites for such housing.
We have one site in Flint Way that is currently being developed but this will only provide five flats and there are considerably more young people who at present are being forced to live with parents or in care home facilities who could be living independently.
The Fleetville Library site will allow six young, physically-disabled people to have their own homes with the support that they need - something that able-bodied people take for granted. It is not going to be a 'care home'.
I am one of the young people who is waiting to hear whether they will be able to live independently. I am 25 years old, have a job but as I have high level care needs I have to live at home with my parents as there is no suitable accommodation for me.
I am bitterly disappointed that objections were raised to this development and that nobody thought to ask the views of the prospective residents.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 4 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 7 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 8 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 9 Breakaway Theatre Company returns with an enjoyable day at the races in Ladies' Day
- 10 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
Pondfield Crescent, St Albans