SIR – Re: the Fleetville Library planning application. I am one of a number of local young people with physical disabilities who for the last five years have been involved with the Castle Project. This was set up as there is no accessible independent-livi
SIR - Re: the Fleetville Library planning application. I am one of a number of local young people with physical disabilities who for the last five years have been involved with the Castle Project. This was set up as there is no accessible independent-living housing anywhere in Herts that is suitable for wheelchair users.
Ability Housing Association have worked with us to identify suitable sites for such housing.
We have one site in Flint Way that is currently being developed but this will only provide five flats and there are considerably more young people who at present are being forced to live with parents or in care home facilities who could be living independently.
The Fleetville Library site will allow six young, physically-disabled people to have their own homes with the support that they need - something that able-bodied people take for granted. It is not going to be a 'care home'.
You may also want to watch:
I am one of the young people who is waiting to hear whether they will be able to live independently. I am 25 years old, have a job but as I have high level care needs I have to live at home with my parents as there is no suitable accommodation for me.
I am bitterly disappointed that objections were raised to this development and that nobody thought to ask the views of the prospective residents.
- 1 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 9 baby and toddler groups for St Albans and Harpenden
- 4 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 5 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 6 Area Guide: The popular Hertfordshire town of Bishop's Stortford
- 7 'Life-changing and life-enhancing' - St Albans woman reveals impact of Duke of Edinburgh award
- 8 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 9 What are our district's cases like now lockdown restrictions have eased?
- 10 Flashmob celebrates re-opening of St Albans high street
Pondfield Crescent, St Albans