SIR – Re: the Fleetville Library planning application. I am one of a number of local young people with physical disabilities who for the last five years have been involved with the Castle Project. This was set up as there is no accessible independent-livi
SIR - Re: the Fleetville Library planning application. I am one of a number of local young people with physical disabilities who for the last five years have been involved with the Castle Project. This was set up as there is no accessible independent-living housing anywhere in Herts that is suitable for wheelchair users.
Ability Housing Association have worked with us to identify suitable sites for such housing.
We have one site in Flint Way that is currently being developed but this will only provide five flats and there are considerably more young people who at present are being forced to live with parents or in care home facilities who could be living independently.
The Fleetville Library site will allow six young, physically-disabled people to have their own homes with the support that they need - something that able-bodied people take for granted. It is not going to be a 'care home'.
You may also want to watch:
I am one of the young people who is waiting to hear whether they will be able to live independently. I am 25 years old, have a job but as I have high level care needs I have to live at home with my parents as there is no suitable accommodation for me.
I am bitterly disappointed that objections were raised to this development and that nobody thought to ask the views of the prospective residents.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 3 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 4 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 5 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 8 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
Pondfield Crescent, St Albans