SIR – Re: the Fleetville Library planning application. I am one of a number of local young people with physical disabilities who for the last five years have been involved with the Castle Project. This was set up as there is no accessible independent-livi
SIR - Re: the Fleetville Library planning application. I am one of a number of local young people with physical disabilities who for the last five years have been involved with the Castle Project. This was set up as there is no accessible independent-living housing anywhere in Herts that is suitable for wheelchair users.
Ability Housing Association have worked with us to identify suitable sites for such housing.
We have one site in Flint Way that is currently being developed but this will only provide five flats and there are considerably more young people who at present are being forced to live with parents or in care home facilities who could be living independently.
The Fleetville Library site will allow six young, physically-disabled people to have their own homes with the support that they need - something that able-bodied people take for granted. It is not going to be a 'care home'.
You may also want to watch:
I am one of the young people who is waiting to hear whether they will be able to live independently. I am 25 years old, have a job but as I have high level care needs I have to live at home with my parents as there is no suitable accommodation for me.
I am bitterly disappointed that objections were raised to this development and that nobody thought to ask the views of the prospective residents.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 7 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 8 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 9 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 10 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
Pondfield Crescent, St Albans