SIR, — We would like to thank the Herts Advertiser for highlighting the ongoing problems at St Albans District Council s planning department (October 16 and 23). When planning permission was sought for a detached house on land in Lyndhurst Drive, a number
SIR, - We would like to thank the Herts Advertiser for highlighting the ongoing problems at St Albans District Council's planning department (October 16 and 23).
When planning permission was sought for a detached house on land in Lyndhurst Drive, a number of residents wrote objecting on a number of points, mainly overdevelopment, but also that two other applications had been turned down. Cllr Alison Steer endeavoured to act on our behalf to safeguard our concerns.
However, the system has let us down completely, even though stringent measures had apparently been put in place. Whereas all concerned were informed when planning was turned down, nothing happened to advise us that planning consent had been given.
Shortage of staff is no excuse for passing a controversial application automatically and ignoring Cllr Steer's request to "call in" the application, particularly given the previous history on this land. What chance do local residents have when even their elected representatives are ignored and council procedures are not adhered to?
You may also want to watch:
CHRIS and SALLY WILKINSON,
Lyndhurst Drive, Harpenden.
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 4 Shop Local: Mums team up for pop-up opening on April 12
- 5 Turning over a new leaf as lockdown ends
- 6 Food, glorious food! Tom Kerridge's tasty menus announced for Alfresco Diner in St Albans
- 7 Doors opening again for Harpenden retailers on April 12
- 8 Community opens book shed to share the gift of reading
- 9 Saints in the City initiative will bring sports projects to local community
- 10 'Hero without a cape' comes to the aid of Park Street resident