SIR, — Inspired by reading the letter about Miss Hall and Garden Fields School (Herts Advertiser, March 13), I write about my time there. As we entered the classroom we had to line up to show Miss Hall that our hands were clean — lifting them, palms upwar
SIR, - Inspired by reading the letter about Miss Hall and Garden Fields School (Herts Advertiser, March 13), I write about my time there. As we entered the classroom we had to line up to show Miss Hall that our hands were clean - lifting them, palms upwards, almost above our heads to reach the large blue-clad figure looking down from the heights of her wooden podium, her eyes enormous with extraordinary blue make-up.
Our maths exercise books had to be immaculate, the lay-out and handwriting as important as 7 x 5 or 124 ÷ 8.
I was in Class 8 with Miss Hall in 1968, and I can still see that grand blue figure. She obviously made an impression on a lot of us.
You may also want to watch:
St Albans and Milan.
- 1 14 of the best places for a curry in Hertfordshire according to readers
- 2 Campaign to save Harpenden pub which teamed up with Wheathampstead Indian restaurant
- 3 11 of the prettiest streets in St Albans
- 4 Planning permission granted for 45-home London Colney development
- 5 City centre road closures are blocking ambulances, meeting hears
- 6 Man in his 80s dies after collision between lorry and mobility scooter
- 7 Classic cars raise money for three Harpenden charities
- 8 St Albans Charter Market meeting to be held in public
- 9 Remembering one of Hertfordshire's best-known estate agents
- 10 Anti-vaxers condemned for intimidating behaviour and dangerous posters