SIR, — Inspired by reading the letter about Miss Hall and Garden Fields School (Herts Advertiser, March 13), I write about my time there. As we entered the classroom we had to line up to show Miss Hall that our hands were clean — lifting them, palms upwar
SIR, - Inspired by reading the letter about Miss Hall and Garden Fields School (Herts Advertiser, March 13), I write about my time there. As we entered the classroom we had to line up to show Miss Hall that our hands were clean - lifting them, palms upwards, almost above our heads to reach the large blue-clad figure looking down from the heights of her wooden podium, her eyes enormous with extraordinary blue make-up.
Our maths exercise books had to be immaculate, the lay-out and handwriting as important as 7 x 5 or 124 ÷ 8.
I was in Class 8 with Miss Hall in 1968, and I can still see that grand blue figure. She obviously made an impression on a lot of us.
St Albans and Milan.
- 1 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 2 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 3 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 4 London Colney children will be going nuts for this new Scouts group
- 5 Property Spotlight: A family home in Harpenden's West Common
- 6 St Albans recycling heroes raise £28K for hospice
- 7 Obituary: Don Francis, former St Albans City and St Albans Sunday League star
- 8 'Visually striking' Chaos Dancing Cosmos installation at St Albans Museum + Gallery
- 9 Saints respond to Cheshunt shocker with hard-fought draw at Chelmsford
- 10 Seven men arrested on suspicion of St Albans burglary