Lack of respect
SIR, — I would like to support the comments made by Norman Hart in your letters page (Herts Advertiser, April 24) regarding people s inconsiderate behaviour in St Albans Central Library. Although I appreciate that times have moved on from the 1950s and wo
SIR, - I would like to support the comments made by Norman Hart in your letters page (Herts Advertiser, April 24) regarding people's inconsiderate behaviour in St Albans Central Library.
Although I appreciate that times have moved on from the 1950s and wouldn't wish to see the return of menacing librarians enforcing strict silence, I do believe things have gone far too far the other way.
A bit of noise from young children is one thing - but moronic grown adults who think it is perfectly acceptable to take a mobile phone call in the library while others are trying to study or read, is an entirely different matter. In my opinion these types, who clearly have no respect for other people, should be thrown out or warned at the very least.
At the moment, the library staff appear to take a very relaxed attitude to the bad manners of certain library users, and I suspect this is because they are told to do so by their managers. I believe the librarians should have the support and backing of their bosses to step in and intervene on behalf of the silent - or at least, respectfully-quiet - majority.
You may also want to watch:
Watling Street, Park Street.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 Revealed: The St Albans postcodes with the biggest house price reductions