SIR, — Following the correspondence about the St Albans City Library, this is to thank all the library staff and indeed all the people who were using the library on Tuesday, May 27, midday for a very profitable visit I paid to it with my grand-daughter wh
SIR, - Following the correspondence about the St Albans City Library, this is to thank all the library staff and indeed all the people who were using the library on Tuesday, May 27, midday for a very profitable visit I paid to it with my grand-daughter who is a library assistant in Sheffield.
All the areas were being used positively. The reading area was being used by a variety of people who were reading papers or books.
The children's area was lively with under-fives engaging with the easily-accessible books with delight. Some parents were leaving their offspring to search for themselves, others sharing their children's pleasure and learning.
The study section was full of mostly young people studying on their own while others were evidently communicating with a fellow student on the subject in hand.
You may also want to watch:
The library was indeed very full and the impression we got was that it is not big enough for a community of the size of St Albans. On the other hand there was absolutely no evidence of people being disturbed by the presence or behaviour of their fellows and the overall impression was of people being provided with and making good use of a resource which enables us to learn from and enjoy books.
As I understand it, this is the object of the exercise.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 9 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 10 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield
Gombards, St Albans.