SIR, — Following the correspondence about the St Albans City Library, this is to thank all the library staff and indeed all the people who were using the library on Tuesday, May 27, midday for a very profitable visit I paid to it with my grand-daughter wh
SIR, - Following the correspondence about the St Albans City Library, this is to thank all the library staff and indeed all the people who were using the library on Tuesday, May 27, midday for a very profitable visit I paid to it with my grand-daughter who is a library assistant in Sheffield.
All the areas were being used positively. The reading area was being used by a variety of people who were reading papers or books.
The children's area was lively with under-fives engaging with the easily-accessible books with delight. Some parents were leaving their offspring to search for themselves, others sharing their children's pleasure and learning.
The study section was full of mostly young people studying on their own while others were evidently communicating with a fellow student on the subject in hand.
The library was indeed very full and the impression we got was that it is not big enough for a community of the size of St Albans. On the other hand there was absolutely no evidence of people being disturbed by the presence or behaviour of their fellows and the overall impression was of people being provided with and making good use of a resource which enables us to learn from and enjoy books.
As I understand it, this is the object of the exercise.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 5 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 6 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 7 New play areas open at Harpenden parks
- 8 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 9 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 10 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
Gombards, St Albans.