Is the Big V what we really want?
SIR – Messrs Howell and Carruthers are being somewhat presumptious in presenting simultaneously a need and a solution with their Verulamium Park sculpture (Herts Advertiser, November 12, pictured above). A more normal course to acquiring and installing a
SIR - Messrs Howell and Carruthers are being somewhat presumptious in presenting simultaneously a need and a solution with their Verulamium Park sculpture (Herts Advertiser, November 12, pictured above).
A more normal course to acquiring and installing a piece of public art would be to first find out whether there is any significant desire for such a thing and in what location, second, sound out feelings for the sort of symbolism sought and then to invite all interested artists to submit proposals.
Instead of which St Albans citizens are being presented with a fait accompli which they are asked to think about raising the money for. It smacks of public funding for H & C Sculptures' open-air showroom.
Further, to place a large, futuristic sculpture in Verulamium Park could be to demonstrate a failure to learn any lesson from the unfortunate business of rehousing the hypocaust.
You may also want to watch:
There is a notable absence of public art in the 'historic city' (a quote from SADC stationery) so I would suggest that the first subjects that we should be turning our minds to depicting are famous people or events associated with St Albans - Nicholas Breakspear, Francis Bacon, Sam Ryder, the two battles of St Albans are some. Alban and Jennings/Marlborough have commemoration already, albeit architectural.
We should give some thought to this subject and not be bounced into something we later regret.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 5 St Albans Chamber's Not St George's Day event is a smash success
- 6 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 7 Harpenden Christmas Carnival returns for 2021
- 8 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 9 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 10 St Albans named among Britain's best places for first-time buyer discounts
Upper Culver Road, St Albans