SIR, — As another frequent user of the First Capital Connect service from St Albans to Kings Cross Thameslink, I had been looking forward to the opening of the new Thameslink station at St Pancras International. But as your correspondent Steve McGuinness
SIR, - As another frequent user of the First Capital Connect service from St Albans to Kings Cross Thameslink, I had been looking forward to the opening of the new Thameslink station at St Pancras International. But as your correspondent Steve McGuinness attests (Herts Advertiser, December 20), it has proved to be something of a disappointment.
True, a dreary station has been replaced by something brighter and more spacious, but as an interchange with the Underground network it is significantly inferior to the old facilities.
Whereas it previously took about a minute to access the Victoria Line platforms, it now takes seven walking at a moderately-brisk pace. Access to the Northern and Piccadilly Lines involves the same long trudge, amounting to over a quarter-mile. Such is progress.
I suspect at least 50 per cent of the passengers alighting at the old Thameslink station were travelling-on via the Underground network, so the new arrangements will significantly inconvenience thousands of passengers on a daily basis. The solution is simple, reopen the old Thameslink station until such time as convenient interchange facilities are available at the new station.
Two stations may seem an extravagance, but there are many examples of stations in close proximity on the Underground network, Charing Cross and Embankment Stations being a good example.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 3 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 4 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 5 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 6 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 7 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
- 8 Stalking Protection Order issued to Herts man after obsessive behaviour towards ex
- 9 Suspected loan sharks arrested in Hemel Hempstead
- 10 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
Melbourne Close, St Albans.