SIR, — As another frequent user of the First Capital Connect service from St Albans to Kings Cross Thameslink, I had been looking forward to the opening of the new Thameslink station at St Pancras International. But as your correspondent Steve McGuinness
SIR, - As another frequent user of the First Capital Connect service from St Albans to Kings Cross Thameslink, I had been looking forward to the opening of the new Thameslink station at St Pancras International. But as your correspondent Steve McGuinness attests (Herts Advertiser, December 20), it has proved to be something of a disappointment.
True, a dreary station has been replaced by something brighter and more spacious, but as an interchange with the Underground network it is significantly inferior to the old facilities.
Whereas it previously took about a minute to access the Victoria Line platforms, it now takes seven walking at a moderately-brisk pace. Access to the Northern and Piccadilly Lines involves the same long trudge, amounting to over a quarter-mile. Such is progress.
I suspect at least 50 per cent of the passengers alighting at the old Thameslink station were travelling-on via the Underground network, so the new arrangements will significantly inconvenience thousands of passengers on a daily basis. The solution is simple, reopen the old Thameslink station until such time as convenient interchange facilities are available at the new station.
Two stations may seem an extravagance, but there are many examples of stations in close proximity on the Underground network, Charing Cross and Embankment Stations being a good example.
- 1 St Albans restaurant wins big in Curry Oscars
- 2 Property Spotlight: A stunning pub conversion in central St Albans
- 3 Sexual assault onboard train to Harpenden
- 4 Founding CAMRA pub is on the market
- 5 Rearranged waste and recycling bin collection dates for Christmas and January in St Albans
- 6 Boreham Wood 4-0 St Albans City: FA Cup fairy tale comes to an end for The Saints
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Camp area of St Albans
- 8 St Albans gang members jailed for running cannabis factory network
- 9 Gift shop's £20K donation to cancer charity
- 10 Enjoy Christmas carols with ukuleles and a brass band in St Albans park
Melbourne Close, St Albans.