SIR, — I see that D.S. Malkinson of Allandale, St Albans, takes issue with me (Herts Advertiser, October 30) for voicing my concern about the health inequalities demonstrated in the differences in life expectancy between people living in different parts o
SIR, - I see that D.S. Malkinson of Allandale, St Albans, takes issue with me (Herts Advertiser, October 30) for voicing my concern about the health inequalities demonstrated in the differences in life expectancy between people living in different parts of the district.
His or her view that bad elective lifestyles are the main causes for ill health is a populist and fairly comfortable one which ignores issues such as income, working environments and quality of housing. It has also been effectively challenged by research - for example the Acheson Report of the Independent Enquiry into Inequalities in Health published in 1998.
D.S. Malkinson also makes great play of my supposed references to London Colney as an area of poor health - I actually referred to the relatively low life expectancy in Batchwood as compared with the neighbouring ward of Marshalswick South. However I suppose that you would have had to have read the article to know that.
CLLR ROMA MILLS,
You may also want to watch:
St Albans District Council.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 7 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 8 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 9 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 10 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park