In the dark
SIR, — Once again the case for the need of a fire station in Radlett has been proven to be essential beyond doubt. On the evening of last Tuesday, July 15, at around 9.30pm fire engines were called to an incident of smoke issuing from a stairway at a bloc
SIR, - Once again the case for the need of a fire station in Radlett has been proven to be essential beyond doubt.
On the evening of last Tuesday, July 15, at around 9.30pm fire engines were called to an incident of smoke issuing from a stairway at a block of flats in Scrubbitts Park Road, Radlett.
My father witnessed two engines travelling east down Park Road and turning south along Watling Street towards London. Anyone with any local knowledge would know that this is not the quickest route to Scrubbitts Park Road.
At around the same time I witnessed an engine travelling south along Watling Street towards London. This engine, also with blue lights and sirens operating, turned east up Shenley Hill, returning four or five minutes later, still on blue lights and sirens, and turning back in the direction of St Albans, clearly lost.
You may also want to watch:
A further engine with blue lights was seen at around the same time travelling up Letchmore Road, Radlett, a cul-de-sac, and turning round. A couple who live nearby came out to see what was happening and were asked by the crew for directions to Scrubbitts Park Road.
Yet another engine was seen parked in the Crosspath, Radlett, facing away from Scrubbitts Park Road, at around this time - presumably also lost.
- 1 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 4 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action
- 5 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 6 Police hunt man suspected of breaking into Cathedral collection boxes
- 7 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 8 Property Spotlight: An Edwardian home on one of St Albans' most prestigious roads
- 9 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
This is the third time that I know of that engines have gone the wrong way or got lost en route to incidents in Radlett since the closure of Radlett Fire Station. We will be asking the leader of Herts County Council what he intends to do about it.
One suggestion worth considering would be a Community Safety Centre in Radlett, providing fire, police and ambulance services, all with local knowledge. This could be based in the vacant plot where the empty Radlett Fire Station now stands.
SOFAR (Save Our Fire and Rescue), Radlett.