In the dark
SIR, — Once again the case for the need of a fire station in Radlett has been proven to be essential beyond doubt. On the evening of last Tuesday, July 15, at around 9.30pm fire engines were called to an incident of smoke issuing from a stairway at a bloc
SIR, - Once again the case for the need of a fire station in Radlett has been proven to be essential beyond doubt.
On the evening of last Tuesday, July 15, at around 9.30pm fire engines were called to an incident of smoke issuing from a stairway at a block of flats in Scrubbitts Park Road, Radlett.
My father witnessed two engines travelling east down Park Road and turning south along Watling Street towards London. Anyone with any local knowledge would know that this is not the quickest route to Scrubbitts Park Road.
At around the same time I witnessed an engine travelling south along Watling Street towards London. This engine, also with blue lights and sirens operating, turned east up Shenley Hill, returning four or five minutes later, still on blue lights and sirens, and turning back in the direction of St Albans, clearly lost.
You may also want to watch:
A further engine with blue lights was seen at around the same time travelling up Letchmore Road, Radlett, a cul-de-sac, and turning round. A couple who live nearby came out to see what was happening and were asked by the crew for directions to Scrubbitts Park Road.
Yet another engine was seen parked in the Crosspath, Radlett, facing away from Scrubbitts Park Road, at around this time - presumably also lost.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 8 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 9 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 10 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
This is the third time that I know of that engines have gone the wrong way or got lost en route to incidents in Radlett since the closure of Radlett Fire Station. We will be asking the leader of Herts County Council what he intends to do about it.
One suggestion worth considering would be a Community Safety Centre in Radlett, providing fire, police and ambulance services, all with local knowledge. This could be based in the vacant plot where the empty Radlett Fire Station now stands.
SOFAR (Save Our Fire and Rescue), Radlett.