In a dream
SIR, — Myopic! Cllr Anthony Rowlands must be Stevie Wonder not to see the rubbish in Verulamium Park on a regular basis (Herts Advertiser, August 21). I would like to say I run regularly but that would be stretching the truth somewhat. I guess on average
SIR, - Myopic! Cllr Anthony Rowlands must be Stevie Wonder not to see the rubbish in Verulamium Park on a regular basis (Herts Advertiser, August 21).
I would like to say I run regularly but that would be stretching the truth somewhat. I guess on average I run round the park twice a week, sometimes in the mornings, sometimes in the early evening and very occasionally at the weekend and on every occasion you see a significant amount of litter from plastic bottles and cans to frappuccino cups from Starbucks. The worst affected place is the grass area up to the Cathedral followed by the two fields opposite the swimming pool which the ice rink/fair use.
I don't doubt the park rangers do a good job but what is more worrying is that Cllr Rowlands holds the position of Portfolio Holder for Community Engagement and Support and I assume is therefore involved in the decision-making processes which the council make. If he does not see a problem and feels strongly enough to write a rebuff in the local paper then you have to worry.
Having seen about the third totally inadequate attempt to patch up a fraction of a number of potholes stretching about 15 feet on the roundabout as you come off the M25 at Junction 22 anti-clockwise - another example of Herts Highways at their best - it seems a number of the people who are accountable to the public and are responsible for spending the taxpayers money, our money, need to step out of their dream world and look at the reality of the situation and listen to the public feedback or be held accountable.
You may also want to watch:
Maybe I am too cynical so I only hope my view reflects those of the residents in general or I am happy to stand corrected if Cllr Rowlands is proved right.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
Holywell Hill, St Albans.