SIR, — I have just read the story headlined 77 pupils fail to get secondary school of their choice (Herts Advertiser, March 6). While we live in Wheathampstead, my three children attend Kimpton School. My eldest is due to go to secondary school this Sep
SIR, - I have just read the story headlined "77 pupils fail to get secondary school of their choice" (Herts Advertiser, March 6). While we live in Wheathampstead, my three children attend Kimpton School. My eldest is due to go to secondary school this September. We put Sandringham as our first choice given it is our nearest school and there is transport to and from the school. It also meets the abilities of our three children.
In my son's class at Kimpton School, only those with older siblings got any of their three schools. No one else got any of their three schools - yet again. Instead, we were all allocated either Heathcote in Stevenage or Onslow St Audrey in Hatfield. As a single mum, I find it hard to believe how I am going to get my son to Hatfield and then my two younger children to Kimpton School, all before 9am. It is just impossible. I rely on help from my mother too and as she works in St Albans, she would be able to help with after-school clubs etc. I will most certainly be going through the appeals process as my son will not be going to school in Hatfield.
I have lived in the Kimpton/Wheathampstead/Harpenden area all my life. When the secondary school was closed in Wheathampstead and merged with Sandringham, we were assured that that would be our secondary school serving Wheathampstead. This is a recurrent problem every year and it's about time someone seriously addressed the problem once and for all. And with the new build of some 60 houses on what was Wheathampstead secondary school, the problem is only going to get worse.
You may also want to watch:
Granary Close, Wheathampstead.
- 1 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 Drive-in cinema arriving at London Luton Airport
- 5 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 6 Drug users at Telford Court flats face tough police action
- 7 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 8 April 12: St Albans shops re-open
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Police hunt man suspected of breaking into Cathedral collection boxes