SIR, — I have just read the story headlined 77 pupils fail to get secondary school of their choice (Herts Advertiser, March 6). While we live in Wheathampstead, my three children attend Kimpton School. My eldest is due to go to secondary school this Sep
SIR, - I have just read the story headlined "77 pupils fail to get secondary school of their choice" (Herts Advertiser, March 6). While we live in Wheathampstead, my three children attend Kimpton School. My eldest is due to go to secondary school this September. We put Sandringham as our first choice given it is our nearest school and there is transport to and from the school. It also meets the abilities of our three children.
In my son's class at Kimpton School, only those with older siblings got any of their three schools. No one else got any of their three schools - yet again. Instead, we were all allocated either Heathcote in Stevenage or Onslow St Audrey in Hatfield. As a single mum, I find it hard to believe how I am going to get my son to Hatfield and then my two younger children to Kimpton School, all before 9am. It is just impossible. I rely on help from my mother too and as she works in St Albans, she would be able to help with after-school clubs etc. I will most certainly be going through the appeals process as my son will not be going to school in Hatfield.
I have lived in the Kimpton/Wheathampstead/Harpenden area all my life. When the secondary school was closed in Wheathampstead and merged with Sandringham, we were assured that that would be our secondary school serving Wheathampstead. This is a recurrent problem every year and it's about time someone seriously addressed the problem once and for all. And with the new build of some 60 houses on what was Wheathampstead secondary school, the problem is only going to get worse.
You may also want to watch:
Granary Close, Wheathampstead.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre