SIR — I write with regard to your front page story about Professor Vaughan (Herts Advertiser, September 3). In 1993 my father died at Hemel Hempstead hospital in exactly the same uncaring circumstances, aged 73. We also made complaint after complaint abou
SIR - I write with regard to your front page story about Professor Vaughan (Herts Advertiser, September 3). In 1993 my father died at Hemel Hempstead hospital in exactly the same uncaring circumstances, aged 73.
We also made complaint after complaint about my father's general level of care (the lack of it).
My father was in tremendous pain on one occasion and the nurses did nothing. This was extremely distressing for my father and members of the family having to witness. It wasn't until my brother displayed his anger that a doctor arrived on the ward and finally prescribed some pain relief for my father. Why do we have to demand this? After this event there was a member of the family with him 24/7 whether they liked it or not.
My father died during the early hours of April 24 on the ward with members of his family around his bed and the only privacy we had was a curtain. Nurses were laughing and joking - where is the respect?
You may also want to watch:
I too pursued my father's case for many years and attended meetings in the hope that no other family would have to experience what my family did. We received a very guarded apology.
Sixteen years later nothing has changed. Somebody must be held accountable for the way the elderly are treated.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 3 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 4 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 5 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 6 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 7 St Albans violent crime: 'Imagine having a criminal record before having a chance to get a job'
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 10 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
My mother has been in the QEII Hospital in Welwyn Garden City for nearly four weeks and thankfully is being cared for with absolute respect.
My deepest sympathy is with Professor Vaughan's family and I would encourage them to pursue their case.