High and dry
SIR, — For many years I and many others have enjoyed the swimming sessions at Townsend School pool twice a week. Over time the sessions have been steadily reduced, and now after this summer term there will only be one session on a Saturday afternoon for o
SIR, - For many years I and many others have enjoyed the swimming sessions at Townsend School pool twice a week. Over time the sessions have been steadily reduced, and now after this summer term there will only be one session on a Saturday afternoon for one hour. The reason being offered is lack of staff to man the pool. I find this hard to believe as to my knowledge, this has happened only twice in all the time I have been using the pool.
Swimming is good, all-round exercise. It is therapeutic especially for those with mobility problems and who can't walk far.
Townsend is ideal for us wrinklies. It's a small pool, less intimidating than the larger ones and we don't get in anyone's way.
We also make new friends. It's beneficial in so many ways and the staff are so friendly and helpful.
You may also want to watch:
I would appeal to please reconsider the decision to cut the sessions at Townsend swimming pool. Sandringham School's pool sessions were lost a few years ago, the Jubilee crèche closed and that was devastating for the people who used it and their carers.
What's wrong in leaving things alone if they work? Why change for changing sake?
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 3 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 4 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 5 From the terraces to the pitch - Huw Dawson ecstatic to reach FA Cup first round with St Albans City
- 6 Property Spotlight: A detached home on one of St Albans' most desirable streets
- 7 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 8 St Albans City reach FA Cup first round after shoot-out win over Corinthian Casuals
- 9 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
MRS H. BLANCHARD
Ennerdale Close, St Albans.