First meteor shower of 2022 to light up the night sky in early January
- Credit: PA Wire
The UK is set to be illuminated by the first meteor shower of 2022 in early January.
Active from December 12 to January 12, the Quadrantid meteor shower is expected to be at its most visible on January 3.
For the best view, stargazers are urged to look to the skies after dusk.
At its peak, the shower can produce a rate of 118 meteors per hour.
At non-peak times, there will be fewer meteors over the country, but the ones that do appear will be long-lived meteors which will travel across a wide area of sky.
A meteor shower occurs when the Earth passes through debris which has been left behind by comets and asteroids.
- 1 Revealed: The five areas of Hertfordshire where the average home costs more than £1m
- 2 Inquest jury to hear 999 call made as child choked at Radlett nursery
- 3 City centre Poundland store could be demolished and rebuilt
- 4 Comment: Mixed emotions as building work begins
- 5 Town bank building given green light to split into three
- 6 10 filming locations of new Netflix series Stay Close
- 7 Ricky Gervais' Netflix series After Life filmed in Hertfordshire
- 8 The Zombies postpone forthcoming Harpenden tour dates to 2023
- 9 Council confirms which Local Plan sites will be dropped
- 10 History in the making as Colney Heath Ladies reach county cup final for first time