SIR, — Homelessness remains an issue in St Albans. In the summer, St Albans District Council launched its Homelessness Strategy 2008-2013. This month, an exhibition in the library highlights the problems of homelessness and the work of some of the St Alba
SIR, - Homelessness remains an issue in St Albans. In the summer, St Albans District Council launched its Homelessness Strategy 2008-2013. This month, an exhibition in the library highlights the problems of homelessness and the work of some of the St Albans organisations seeking to help those who are homeless.
Centre 33, which was recently presented with the Queen's Award for Voluntary Service, is one of those organisations. We are a totally voluntary-run local charity that provides practical support for homeless and socially-deprived people at our drop-in centre, based in the flat above the public toilets at the corner of George Street and Spicer Street. We offer hot food and drinks, showers (and towels and toiletries) and somewhere warm and dry to meet. In the first six months of this year, we provided almost 3,000 meals to around 190 individuals.
The Centre is open weekday mornings, Monday to Thursday evenings, Saturday lunchtimes and recently early on Sunday evenings.
However to continue to maintain our level of support to those who need Centre 33, we need more volunteers.
You may also want to watch:
Most volunteers help for a couple of hours once a week or once a fortnight, although some help on a less-regular basis. Work at the Centre is not difficult - basic cooking, preparing drinks and being a friendly face for our visitors. Volunteers work in groups of three.
Anyone interested in volunteering should contact me on 07745 189084 or by email at email@example.com
- 1 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Quarter of tenants become owners at St Albans development
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 Food, glorious food! Tom Kerridge's tasty menus announced for Alfresco Diner in St Albans
- 6 April 12: Rhino crash marks re-opening of Whipsnade Zoo
- 7 Doors opening again for Harpenden retailers on April 12
- 8 Shop Local: Mums team up for pop-up opening on April 12
- 9 Hundreds of Herts health workers decline COVID-19 vaccines
- 10 'Hero without a cape' comes to the aid of Park Street resident
Chairman, Centre 33.