SIR, — Homelessness remains an issue in St Albans. In the summer, St Albans District Council launched its Homelessness Strategy 2008-2013. This month, an exhibition in the library highlights the problems of homelessness and the work of some of the St Alba
SIR, - Homelessness remains an issue in St Albans. In the summer, St Albans District Council launched its Homelessness Strategy 2008-2013. This month, an exhibition in the library highlights the problems of homelessness and the work of some of the St Albans organisations seeking to help those who are homeless.
Centre 33, which was recently presented with the Queen's Award for Voluntary Service, is one of those organisations. We are a totally voluntary-run local charity that provides practical support for homeless and socially-deprived people at our drop-in centre, based in the flat above the public toilets at the corner of George Street and Spicer Street. We offer hot food and drinks, showers (and towels and toiletries) and somewhere warm and dry to meet. In the first six months of this year, we provided almost 3,000 meals to around 190 individuals.
The Centre is open weekday mornings, Monday to Thursday evenings, Saturday lunchtimes and recently early on Sunday evenings.
However to continue to maintain our level of support to those who need Centre 33, we need more volunteers.
You may also want to watch:
Most volunteers help for a couple of hours once a week or once a fortnight, although some help on a less-regular basis. Work at the Centre is not difficult - basic cooking, preparing drinks and being a friendly face for our visitors. Volunteers work in groups of three.
Anyone interested in volunteering should contact me on 07745 189084 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 4 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 5 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 6 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 7 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 8 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 9 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 10 David Amess: St Albans MP Daisy Cooper reacts to tragedy
Chairman, Centre 33.