Help for Haiti
SIR – I would like to thank those who supported the Harpenden Lions Club Tinshake held on the morning of Saturday, January 23, which raised almost �1,200. The Club agreed to add to this figure and I am pleased to say that �1,700 has been forwarded to the
SIR - I would like to thank those who supported the Harpenden Lions Club Tinshake held on the morning of Saturday, January 23, which raised almost �1,200. The Club agreed to add to this figure and I am pleased to say that �1,700 has been forwarded to the Haiti appeal within Lions Clubs International.
Lions Clubs worldwide have, to date, raised $2 million to ensure that immediate needs are met and that there are plans in place for long-term reconstruction.
The Lions Clubs in Haiti established a permanently manned office the day after the disaster and distributed initial food, water and medical supplies to a hospital and orphanage.
They have also established three tent cities in neighbourhoods on the outskirts of Port au Prince using an initial supply of 200 tents.
Each Tent City can accommodate 300 families and Lions are focussing their immediate relief efforts to support and maintain these cities.
Initial reports from the Lions Clubs in Haiti suggest that in the longer-term there should be a focus on building a school and an ophthalmic clinic. This is similar to what Lions have done for reconstruction following previous catastrophes.
- 1 Recap: Rail delays through St Albans and Harpenden after train hits branch
- 2 Fire crews receive 'multiple' 999 calls amid large blaze at Welham Green
- 3 Goods worth more than £260 in total stolen from St Albans Co-op store
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Jubilee garden opened at Harpenden primary school
- 6 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 7 St Albans garden centre dedicates fundraising year to Brain Tumour Research
- 8 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 9 School's generous donation to foodbank
- 10 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
Secretary Harpenden Lions