Help for Haiti
SIR – I would like to thank those who supported the Harpenden Lions Club Tinshake held on the morning of Saturday, January 23, which raised almost �1,200. The Club agreed to add to this figure and I am pleased to say that �1,700 has been forwarded to the
SIR - I would like to thank those who supported the Harpenden Lions Club Tinshake held on the morning of Saturday, January 23, which raised almost �1,200. The Club agreed to add to this figure and I am pleased to say that �1,700 has been forwarded to the Haiti appeal within Lions Clubs International.
Lions Clubs worldwide have, to date, raised $2 million to ensure that immediate needs are met and that there are plans in place for long-term reconstruction.
The Lions Clubs in Haiti established a permanently manned office the day after the disaster and distributed initial food, water and medical supplies to a hospital and orphanage.
They have also established three tent cities in neighbourhoods on the outskirts of Port au Prince using an initial supply of 200 tents.
You may also want to watch:
Each Tent City can accommodate 300 families and Lions are focussing their immediate relief efforts to support and maintain these cities.
Initial reports from the Lions Clubs in Haiti suggest that in the longer-term there should be a focus on building a school and an ophthalmic clinic. This is similar to what Lions have done for reconstruction following previous catastrophes.
- 1 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 2 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 3 'Kick-ass' St Albans business campaigns for period pants tax removal
- 4 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 5 COVID-19 accounted for over 15 per cent of St Albans' deaths, says ONS data
- 6 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 7 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 8 Woman loses more than £1000 in St Albans cashpoint distraction scam
- 9 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 10 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
Secretary Harpenden Lions