SIR - I d like to say a few things about Harpenden standing still. Not only do we miss the clock outside Stage Door in Southdown and the one on the old C&A store, but what about replacing the old sandpit or a nice paddling pool on the common? This used t
SIR - I'd like to say a few things about Harpenden standing still. Not only do we miss the clock outside Stage Door in Southdown and the one on the old C&A store, but what about replacing the old sandpit or a nice paddling pool on the common?
This used to always be a summer attraction where families used to meet in the summer. OK, I heard it closed because of louts and dogs fouling but if it was maintained and fenced in then it shouldn't be a problem.
I always thought if the council would fund it then why can't we have an adventure playground for the children in the hollidays? It amazes me the amount of money that goes to waste in Herts yet they can't help the village people. I grew up in a big family and we had an adventure playground fenced in and manned by qualified staff in a big shed with indoor activities when it rained. I'm sure families wouldn't mind paying a small sub to keep their children off the streets in the summer holidays.
Maybe people will say parents shouldn't be working with children at home, but I'm sorry I disagree as once a child is of school age the other parent has to work to make ends meets these days, not because of the credit crunch but for living alone is a survival game.
You may also want to watch:
For instance I live alone and work full time just to make ends meet so I dread to think how a family of this generation copes.
At the end of the day it would be nice to see the council or government putting something into the villages for a change. I'm sick of coming home on my bike late from work and seeing kids just kicking about causing havoc. Why? Because there's nothing out there for them.
- 1 There's no business like snow business in St Albans
- 2 Community pharmacies now part of Herts COVID vaccination rollout
- 3 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 4 'This was quite an emotional experience!' - Thanks to Covid vaccination teams from the people they have treated
- 5 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 6 Raise a glass to the local brewers facing up to the challenges of lockdown
- 7 Lockdown life to be recorded in two museums projects
- 8 How many people in St Albans were fined for breaking COVID rules?
- 9 Remembering one-of-a-kind local legend Lee Bozier
- 10 Love is in the air - check out these Valentine's treats
I would love to offer to manage an adventure playground if only it was funded. we have enough space in Harpenden.