SIR – I attended the full council meeting this week to find out what was being done about the recent loss of laptops/data. However, what I found out during the session after the laptop saga parked was far more enlightening, and frustrating. It seems that
SIR - I attended the full council meeting this week to find out what was being done about the recent loss of laptops/data.
However, what I found out during the session after the laptop saga parked was far more enlightening, and frustrating.
It seems that the Lib Dem councillors, supposedly representing the entirety of St Albans district, don't feel the need to also support their Harpenden residents.
For example, they blocked a motion to introduce two hours free car parking in St Albans (as requested by many local shopkeepers) with unnecessary jibes and mockery of Harpenden.
The motion itself was called "stupid" and "idiotic" by Lib Dems simply because they stated "it would only benefit Harpenden".
With so many shops closing in St Albans, I'm sure struggling shop keepers would not be so quick to dismiss money from Harpenden shoppers.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 4 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 5 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 6 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 7 Have you had your council tax rebate yet?
- 8 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 9 Rent this maisonette in a listed former pub for £2,100pcm
- 10 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
Even discussions about the First Capital Connect fiasco gave them further opportunity to mock. Stating that Harpenden residents feel less pain because they "steal all the seats before the train arrives at St Albans".
The councillors seem to forget Harpenden residents pay more and have less trains for the "privilege".
I don't have space to list the many comments, but urge Harpenden residents to watch the webcam video of the meeting to see for themselves the extent of Lib Dems' disdain for residents' needs and concerns - including from their own Lib Dem representatives.
At least Harpenden residents shouldn't feel alone. It seems the Lib Dem councillors have similar disdain for older people across the district too.
Showing their true colours, one leading councillor was keen a motion wasn't supported because it might help the (as he called them) 'blue rinse brigade'! So at least we know where we all stand.
Chesterton Avenue, Harpenden