SIR – I attended the full council meeting this week to find out what was being done about the recent loss of laptops/data. However, what I found out during the session after the laptop saga parked was far more enlightening, and frustrating. It seems that
SIR - I attended the full council meeting this week to find out what was being done about the recent loss of laptops/data.
However, what I found out during the session after the laptop saga parked was far more enlightening, and frustrating.
It seems that the Lib Dem councillors, supposedly representing the entirety of St Albans district, don't feel the need to also support their Harpenden residents.
For example, they blocked a motion to introduce two hours free car parking in St Albans (as requested by many local shopkeepers) with unnecessary jibes and mockery of Harpenden.
You may also want to watch:
The motion itself was called "stupid" and "idiotic" by Lib Dems simply because they stated "it would only benefit Harpenden".
With so many shops closing in St Albans, I'm sure struggling shop keepers would not be so quick to dismiss money from Harpenden shoppers.
- 1 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 2 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 3 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 4 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 9 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 10 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
Even discussions about the First Capital Connect fiasco gave them further opportunity to mock. Stating that Harpenden residents feel less pain because they "steal all the seats before the train arrives at St Albans".
The councillors seem to forget Harpenden residents pay more and have less trains for the "privilege".
I don't have space to list the many comments, but urge Harpenden residents to watch the webcam video of the meeting to see for themselves the extent of Lib Dems' disdain for residents' needs and concerns - including from their own Lib Dem representatives.
At least Harpenden residents shouldn't feel alone. It seems the Lib Dem councillors have similar disdain for older people across the district too.
Showing their true colours, one leading councillor was keen a motion wasn't supported because it might help the (as he called them) 'blue rinse brigade'! So at least we know where we all stand.
Chesterton Avenue, Harpenden