SIR, — Re you story headlined We care about carers, say county (Herts Advertiser, February 28). So having dismissed the concerns and arguments of families and carers worried about the closure of the day service at the Jubilee Centre in St Albans, Herts
SIR, - Re you story headlined "We care about carers, say county" (Herts Advertiser, February 28). So having dismissed the concerns and arguments of families and carers worried about the closure of the day service at the Jubilee Centre in St Albans, Herts County Council now expects us to believe that Adult Care Services are greatly concerned about the welfare of older carers. Well the eight county councillors who sit on the county Cabinet would not even listen to what our local carers wanted to say to them; they would not even accept the petition signed by over 5,000 local residents. The carers had to hand it over outside the Cabinet meeting. None of that seemed particularly sensitive or helpful and it did not say a lot about care.
All most carers want to know is that their loved ones will receive a good quality service that meets their needs. However the proposals for people who currently attend the Jubilee do not seem to fit the bill. Some will be sent to a much smaller service in a room at Vesta Lodge, some may go to a new service provided by the local voluntary sector, some younger, severely-disabled people may end up outside the district or going to a centre for people with learning disabilities. This means breaking up a well-established community of friends and an excellent staff team. Curiously it also means saving about £120,000 so it is a cheaper option.
A lot of people in St Albans understand what is happening to this vulnerable group of people and many are very unhappy about it. It would be great if some could take the time to say so directly to their county councillors. It's never too late to make a stand.
CLLR ROMA MILLS,
You may also want to watch:
St Albans District Council.
- 1 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 2 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
- 5 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 6 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery