SIR, — Re you story headlined We care about carers, say county (Herts Advertiser, February 28). So having dismissed the concerns and arguments of families and carers worried about the closure of the day service at the Jubilee Centre in St Albans, Herts
SIR, - Re you story headlined "We care about carers, say county" (Herts Advertiser, February 28). So having dismissed the concerns and arguments of families and carers worried about the closure of the day service at the Jubilee Centre in St Albans, Herts County Council now expects us to believe that Adult Care Services are greatly concerned about the welfare of older carers. Well the eight county councillors who sit on the county Cabinet would not even listen to what our local carers wanted to say to them; they would not even accept the petition signed by over 5,000 local residents. The carers had to hand it over outside the Cabinet meeting. None of that seemed particularly sensitive or helpful and it did not say a lot about care.
All most carers want to know is that their loved ones will receive a good quality service that meets their needs. However the proposals for people who currently attend the Jubilee do not seem to fit the bill. Some will be sent to a much smaller service in a room at Vesta Lodge, some may go to a new service provided by the local voluntary sector, some younger, severely-disabled people may end up outside the district or going to a centre for people with learning disabilities. This means breaking up a well-established community of friends and an excellent staff team. Curiously it also means saving about £120,000 so it is a cheaper option.
A lot of people in St Albans understand what is happening to this vulnerable group of people and many are very unhappy about it. It would be great if some could take the time to say so directly to their county councillors. It's never too late to make a stand.
CLLR ROMA MILLS,
You may also want to watch:
St Albans District Council.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 Green light given to new hospital project
- 3 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 4 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 5 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 6 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 7 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 10 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'