SIR, — I was very fortunate recently to accompany my family on a trip to the Rex Cinema in Berkhamsted. Firstly I would like to make a simple observation that this is how going to the cinema should be. Very comfortable seats, plenty of legroom for tall pe
SIR, - I was very fortunate recently to accompany my family on a trip to the Rex Cinema in Berkhamsted. Firstly I would like to make a simple observation that this is how going to the cinema should be. Very comfortable seats, plenty of legroom for tall people like myself, excellent view of the screen, very good sound quality and above all else the feeling that you are being looked after by people with a real passion for cinema and films. It was a real eye opener for me as I thought this kind of enjoyable experience was long gone - killed off by multiplex chains. Thank you to everyone at the Rex.
This leads me on... times change. Once there was an insatiable demand for housing. Flats in St Albans were very popular. Recent changes in the economic climate mean that the anticipated demand for flats at the former Odeon site in London Road is perhaps not what it once was.
Maybe the developer would in the light of this consider not proceeding with demolition and replacement with flats but instead allow for the sympathetic restoration and reuse as a cinema. If it was only half as good an experience as the Rex we would be very lucky indeed. If the gentleman from Berkhamsted is involved, I somehow think it would be equally as good and am keeping my fingers crossed that demolition is not a foregone conclusion now.
You may also want to watch:
Pondfield Crescent, St Albans.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 9 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 10 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match