Hands on approach
SIR – I read in the national press today that texting while driving makes you 23 times more likely to have an accident. The figure was not given for holding a mobile or using a hands-free one. Not an hour earlier, I had shouted at a young man (surprise
SIR - I read in the national press today that texting while driving makes you 23 times more likely to have an accident. The figure was not given for holding a mobile or using a hands-free one.
Not an hour earlier, I had shouted at a young man (surprise, not a mature person or a lady) to get off his mobile while he attempted to use one hand to steer and the other to hold a mobile, change gear and presumably try to indicate right. He stopped and came back to get out and tell me it was none of my business. I think that if I had not got out of his way, he might have used physical violence.
I shall continue to risk my safety in this way, as it most certainly is my business if I happen to be the next person in his way when he is driving without proper attention on where he is going and without two hands to drive and change gear and indicate.
And, young man, you incorrectly thought I had called you something rude - I repeat that I did not (even if I felt like it). But you didn't hesitate to call me something very rude - double standards!
You may also want to watch:
Also importantly - if you had time to stop and try to intimidate me, you had time to stop and not use the mobile while driving.
NAME AND ADDRESS SUPPLIED
- 1 Five Guys coming to St Albans
- 2 St Albans named among best UK places to raise a baby
- 3 GP to retire after 52 years in the NHS
- 4 Property Spotlight: A huge family home on a sought-after St Albans street
- 5 Why have police failed to prosecute over destruction of Smallford Pits wildlife site?
- 6 Council elections: who are St Albans Conservative candidates?
- 7 Hertfordshire estate agency chain acquires local rival
- 8 Youth engagement event marks Stephen Lawrence Day in St Albans
- 9 Housing boom sees St Albans homes earning more than their owners
- 10 Council elections: who are St Albans Labour candidates?