SIR, — I feel I must reply to Peter Willsohn s letter re the proposed closure of the Station Road North post office in Harpenden. It is simply not true that many Harpenden and Batford locals do not know about this obscure and unmerited post office – i
SIR, - I feel I must reply to Peter Willsohn's letter re the proposed closure of the Station Road North post office in Harpenden. It is simply not true that many Harpenden and Batford locals do not know about this "obscure" and "unmerited post office" - if this were the case how come there are always other customers there when I use it?
Quite how Mr Willsohn feels he can comment on this when he lives in West Common is beyond me.
I am the mother of five-and-a-half-month-old twins. I use the post office at least twice a week, usually to post items sold on eBay to supplement our household income. I would say that the few hundred yards to the town centre post office with a twin buggy, two small children and a bag full of parcels feels like a considerable distance, especially in inclement weather. I can easily walk to the Station Road North post office and back via the old railway line without it being a major outing or resorting to using the car.
I'm sure there are many other users of this post office who'd agree with me. It would be a great loss to our community in East Harpenden if it were to close. This is not about Liberal Democrat lost causes but the effect on the community and the people locally who do use this service on a regular basis. For me personally this is an important post office and one worthy of being saved.
You may also want to watch:
Glemsford Drive, Harpenden.
- 1 Girls 'followed' by men in red Range Rover at 2am in city centre
- 2 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 3 St Albans named among UK's most family-friendly cities
- 4 Fashionistas flock to Cathedral catwalk extravaganza
- 5 Light at the end of the gulley for long-running flooding
- 6 Fly-tipped rubbish near Heartwood Forest set to be cleared
- 7 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 8 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 9 As sewage debate continues, how have our MPs voted?
- 10 Property Spotlight: A characterful Victorian home in Wheathampstead