SIR, — I feel I must reply to Peter Willsohn s letter re the proposed closure of the Station Road North post office in Harpenden. It is simply not true that many Harpenden and Batford locals do not know about this obscure and unmerited post office – i
SIR, - I feel I must reply to Peter Willsohn's letter re the proposed closure of the Station Road North post office in Harpenden. It is simply not true that many Harpenden and Batford locals do not know about this "obscure" and "unmerited post office" - if this were the case how come there are always other customers there when I use it?
Quite how Mr Willsohn feels he can comment on this when he lives in West Common is beyond me.
I am the mother of five-and-a-half-month-old twins. I use the post office at least twice a week, usually to post items sold on eBay to supplement our household income. I would say that the few hundred yards to the town centre post office with a twin buggy, two small children and a bag full of parcels feels like a considerable distance, especially in inclement weather. I can easily walk to the Station Road North post office and back via the old railway line without it being a major outing or resorting to using the car.
I'm sure there are many other users of this post office who'd agree with me. It would be a great loss to our community in East Harpenden if it were to close. This is not about Liberal Democrat lost causes but the effect on the community and the people locally who do use this service on a regular basis. For me personally this is an important post office and one worthy of being saved.
You may also want to watch:
Glemsford Drive, Harpenden.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
- 9 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 10 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests