Good or bad
SIR, — Ms Anna Hemmings (Herts Advertiser, October 23 and 30) raises some of the points that have already been raised with Herts Police, namely that the social benefit versus social nuisance of policing by helicopter needs to be carefully weighed. Many
SIR, - Ms Anna Hemmings (Herts Advertiser, October 23 and 30) raises some of the points that have already been raised with Herts Police, namely that the social benefit versus social nuisance of "policing by helicopter" needs to be carefully weighed.
Many people - for example County Councillor Bernard Lloyd - find the police helicopter a "reassuring sight". Others woken up - like us - by a low-flying helicopter in the small hours of the morning may have a different view.
The police in this area use a Eurocopter EC135. This is an expensive piece of kit with a new civilian one currently on sale in America for $6.4 million. I am not sure whether the police lease theirs or get some sort of deal with Eurocopter, but the fact remains this is a pricey and annoying way to chase stolen Ford Escorts, and environmentally unfriendly as this helicopter can only achieve about two miles per gallon.
So while I agree that the helicopter is a benefit when life is at risk or on air ambulance duties, like Ms Hemmings I do wonder if we are seeing downward "mission creep" to less-serious crime - so back to the debate of benefit versus nuisance.
You may also want to watch:
Me - I'd rather see more Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) and patrol cars around.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 4 Memories of a famous FA Cup run for Stevenage after first round draw made
- 5 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 6 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 7 St Albans City 'got away with it' says boss after snatching FA Cup replay at Corinthian Casuals
- 8 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 9 Columban Cycling Club take on 'The Italian Job' for Home-Start Herts
- 10 Mouth of the Tyne: St Albans City don't do lower league opposition but keep bringing them on
Tuffnells Way, Harpenden.