Good or bad
SIR, — Ms Anna Hemmings (Herts Advertiser, October 23 and 30) raises some of the points that have already been raised with Herts Police, namely that the social benefit versus social nuisance of policing by helicopter needs to be carefully weighed. Many
SIR, - Ms Anna Hemmings (Herts Advertiser, October 23 and 30) raises some of the points that have already been raised with Herts Police, namely that the social benefit versus social nuisance of "policing by helicopter" needs to be carefully weighed.
Many people - for example County Councillor Bernard Lloyd - find the police helicopter a "reassuring sight". Others woken up - like us - by a low-flying helicopter in the small hours of the morning may have a different view.
The police in this area use a Eurocopter EC135. This is an expensive piece of kit with a new civilian one currently on sale in America for $6.4 million. I am not sure whether the police lease theirs or get some sort of deal with Eurocopter, but the fact remains this is a pricey and annoying way to chase stolen Ford Escorts, and environmentally unfriendly as this helicopter can only achieve about two miles per gallon.
So while I agree that the helicopter is a benefit when life is at risk or on air ambulance duties, like Ms Hemmings I do wonder if we are seeing downward "mission creep" to less-serious crime - so back to the debate of benefit versus nuisance.
Me - I'd rather see more Police Community Support Officers (PCSOs) and patrol cars around.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 3 How the extent of cost of living crisis hit home at St Albans' CEX store
- 4 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 5 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 6 From Levi's to Leyton Road: Superstar fashionista for over 50s back on shop floor
- 7 Fire broke out at flats above row of shops in How Wood
- 8 Meet the artist behind The Queen's Platinum Jubilee mural in St Albans
- 9 BBC 5 Live football podcast recorded at 'Britain's oldest pub' in St Albans
- 10 St Albans Striders shine as Midweek Road Race League makes welcome return
Tuffnells Way, Harpenden.