SIR — Hatfield Road is under threat of drowning. A big roundabout at Alban Park is proposed to service an extra 4,000 vehicles a day from the massive Oaklands Smallford development that includes 62 dwellings, new educational buildings and floodlit sports
SIR - Hatfield Road is under threat of drowning. A big roundabout at Alban Park is proposed to service an extra 4,000 vehicles a day from the massive Oaklands Smallford development that includes 62 dwellings, new educational buildings and floodlit sports pitches - all on the Green Belt - planning ref 5/2008/0620.
On the same application is a similar-sized roundabout at the junction with Colney Heath Lane that will imply a major junction and short cut to the North Orbital, along what is effectively a semi-rural lane complete with a weak bridge and a 7.5-tonne weight limit.
Closer to the city, at Beaumont School, traffic lights will control a new road that will service 500 cars a day for another large development with 78 dwellings, new educational buildings and floodlit sports pitches - ref 5/2008/0812.
As it can already take half-an-hour to drive the two miles to St Albans city centre, a car is going to become a meaningless accessory.
You may also want to watch:
London Road will be even worse if Tesco get their way (ref 5/2008/0370), and St Peters Street is already a no-go area.
Please write to the district council's planning department at the Civic Centre offices to let them know your opinions. As for me, I'm off to buy some new walking boots!
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 6 Jeffers has double helpings as St Albans City continue to wolf down their 'bread and butter' at Bath
- 7 Staff member assaulted at St Albans City FC match
- 8 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire
- 9 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 10 Boy, 14, mugged in Harpenden park
Glenbower Court, St Albans