SIR — Hatfield Road is under threat of drowning. A big roundabout at Alban Park is proposed to service an extra 4,000 vehicles a day from the massive Oaklands Smallford development that includes 62 dwellings, new educational buildings and floodlit sports
SIR - Hatfield Road is under threat of drowning. A big roundabout at Alban Park is proposed to service an extra 4,000 vehicles a day from the massive Oaklands Smallford development that includes 62 dwellings, new educational buildings and floodlit sports pitches - all on the Green Belt - planning ref 5/2008/0620.
On the same application is a similar-sized roundabout at the junction with Colney Heath Lane that will imply a major junction and short cut to the North Orbital, along what is effectively a semi-rural lane complete with a weak bridge and a 7.5-tonne weight limit.
Closer to the city, at Beaumont School, traffic lights will control a new road that will service 500 cars a day for another large development with 78 dwellings, new educational buildings and floodlit sports pitches - ref 5/2008/0812.
As it can already take half-an-hour to drive the two miles to St Albans city centre, a car is going to become a meaningless accessory.
You may also want to watch:
London Road will be even worse if Tesco get their way (ref 5/2008/0370), and St Peters Street is already a no-go area.
Please write to the district council's planning department at the Civic Centre offices to let them know your opinions. As for me, I'm off to buy some new walking boots!
- 1 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 4 9 baby and toddler groups for St Albans and Harpenden
- 5 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 6 Area Guide: The popular Hertfordshire town of Bishop's Stortford
- 7 'Life-changing and life-enhancing' - St Albans woman reveals impact of Duke of Edinburgh award
- 8 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 9 What are our district's cases like now lockdown restrictions have eased?
- 10 Flashmob celebrates re-opening of St Albans high street
Glenbower Court, St Albans