SIR — Hatfield Road is under threat of drowning. A big roundabout at Alban Park is proposed to service an extra 4,000 vehicles a day from the massive Oaklands Smallford development that includes 62 dwellings, new educational buildings and floodlit sports
SIR - Hatfield Road is under threat of drowning. A big roundabout at Alban Park is proposed to service an extra 4,000 vehicles a day from the massive Oaklands Smallford development that includes 62 dwellings, new educational buildings and floodlit sports pitches - all on the Green Belt - planning ref 5/2008/0620.
On the same application is a similar-sized roundabout at the junction with Colney Heath Lane that will imply a major junction and short cut to the North Orbital, along what is effectively a semi-rural lane complete with a weak bridge and a 7.5-tonne weight limit.
Closer to the city, at Beaumont School, traffic lights will control a new road that will service 500 cars a day for another large development with 78 dwellings, new educational buildings and floodlit sports pitches - ref 5/2008/0812.
As it can already take half-an-hour to drive the two miles to St Albans city centre, a car is going to become a meaningless accessory.
London Road will be even worse if Tesco get their way (ref 5/2008/0370), and St Peters Street is already a no-go area.
Please write to the district council's planning department at the Civic Centre offices to let them know your opinions. As for me, I'm off to buy some new walking boots!
- 1 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 2 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 3 Recap: Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans
- 4 Clarence Park deckchairs banned following council concerns
- 5 Church welcomes gay community event as part of St Albans Pub Pride
- 6 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 7 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 8 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 10 Man in his 20s stabbed in shopping area in Hemel Hempstead
Glenbower Court, St Albans