SIR — Hatfield Road is under threat of drowning. A big roundabout at Alban Park is proposed to service an extra 4,000 vehicles a day from the massive Oaklands Smallford development that includes 62 dwellings, new educational buildings and floodlit sports
SIR - Hatfield Road is under threat of drowning. A big roundabout at Alban Park is proposed to service an extra 4,000 vehicles a day from the massive Oaklands Smallford development that includes 62 dwellings, new educational buildings and floodlit sports pitches - all on the Green Belt - planning ref 5/2008/0620.
On the same application is a similar-sized roundabout at the junction with Colney Heath Lane that will imply a major junction and short cut to the North Orbital, along what is effectively a semi-rural lane complete with a weak bridge and a 7.5-tonne weight limit.
Closer to the city, at Beaumont School, traffic lights will control a new road that will service 500 cars a day for another large development with 78 dwellings, new educational buildings and floodlit sports pitches - ref 5/2008/0812.
As it can already take half-an-hour to drive the two miles to St Albans city centre, a car is going to become a meaningless accessory.
You may also want to watch:
London Road will be even worse if Tesco get their way (ref 5/2008/0370), and St Peters Street is already a no-go area.
Please write to the district council's planning department at the Civic Centre offices to let them know your opinions. As for me, I'm off to buy some new walking boots!
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Green light given to new hospital project
- 5 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 6 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 7 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 8 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 9 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 10 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
Glenbower Court, St Albans