SIR, — While visiting my mother-in-law in Harpenden for Mothers Day, I picked up her copy of the Herts Advertiser and was horrified to read about the rescued Great Danes having to be muzzled. My wife and I have had Danes for over 20 years and have never s
SIR, - While visiting my mother-in-law in Harpenden for Mothers Day, I picked up her copy of the Herts Advertiser and was horrified to read about the rescued Great Danes having to be muzzled. My wife and I have had Danes for over 20 years and have never seen one muzzled.
They are known as the "gentle giants" and because of their size and nature attract people to them. If Joyce Goodwin were to take her dogs for a walk from one end of St Peters Street, I could almost guarantee she would have difficulty reaching the other end because of the number of times she would be stopped by people to admire her dogs. People who rehome these rescued dogs deserve our praise and as responsible owners would not take an unpredictable dog onto the streets.
The charities which take in these dogs, of all breeds, have to raise funds to cover the enormous costs involved. They are run on a shoestring by a handful of volunteers who give their time willingly for the welfare of the dogs, then along comes the council jobsworth to spoil it.
As stated, this has been an annual event in St Albans for many years and long may it remain.
My wife will be exhibiting one of our dogs this week at Crufts along with 224 other Great Danes entered who will draw the admiration and affection of the many thousands of visitors present.
Well done to Joyce Goodwin and may her efforts be rewarded for many years to come.
- 1 Katherine Ryan and Romesh Ranganathan spotted filming in St Albans
- 2 Teenager ‘robbed at knife-point' by two males in Hemel Hempstead
- 3 Hertfordshire grandad who died in A6 Bugatti crash had a 'generous spirit'
- 4 Campaign to keep Chiswell 'green' gains momentum
- 5 Two crashes disrupting M1 and M25 drivers near St Albans and Watford
- 6 Pantomime dame from Radlett appears on ITV’s Britain’s Got Talent
- 7 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 8 Mr Motorsports - the St Albans lawyer with F1 flair
- 9 Rent this maisonette in a listed former pub for £2,100pcm
- 10 Have you had your council tax rebate yet?