SIR, — While visiting my mother-in-law in Harpenden for Mothers Day, I picked up her copy of the Herts Advertiser and was horrified to read about the rescued Great Danes having to be muzzled. My wife and I have had Danes for over 20 years and have never s
SIR, - While visiting my mother-in-law in Harpenden for Mothers Day, I picked up her copy of the Herts Advertiser and was horrified to read about the rescued Great Danes having to be muzzled. My wife and I have had Danes for over 20 years and have never seen one muzzled.
They are known as the "gentle giants" and because of their size and nature attract people to them. If Joyce Goodwin were to take her dogs for a walk from one end of St Peters Street, I could almost guarantee she would have difficulty reaching the other end because of the number of times she would be stopped by people to admire her dogs. People who rehome these rescued dogs deserve our praise and as responsible owners would not take an unpredictable dog onto the streets.
The charities which take in these dogs, of all breeds, have to raise funds to cover the enormous costs involved. They are run on a shoestring by a handful of volunteers who give their time willingly for the welfare of the dogs, then along comes the council jobsworth to spoil it.
As stated, this has been an annual event in St Albans for many years and long may it remain.
You may also want to watch:
My wife will be exhibiting one of our dogs this week at Crufts along with 224 other Great Danes entered who will draw the admiration and affection of the many thousands of visitors present.
Well done to Joyce Goodwin and may her efforts be rewarded for many years to come.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 3 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 4 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 5 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 6 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for St Albans and Welwyn Hatfield area
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 St Albans County Lines crackdown continues with more arrests
- 9 Harpenden's first Sustainable Market is a scorching success
- 10 St Albans barber and landlord hit by Covid closures due to 'pingdemic'