SIR - What a cop out by the council to say they are not the Gestapo (Neighbours demand action on eyesore, Herts Advertiser, July 9). The council is the landlord therefore its there duty to see that their tenant is keeping the property in a decent state. I
SIR - What a cop out by the council to say they are not the Gestapo (Neighbours demand action on eyesore, Herts Advertiser, July 9).
The council is the landlord therefore its there duty to see that their tenant is keeping the property in a decent state.
I am a small landlord myself and let a property through an agent, the agent does three-monthly checks to ensure my tenant is keeping the property in a decent state, if not they are given time to rectify the fault and if not they are evicted.
When I first moved form London to Northolt with my parents, Ealing council did six-month checks to ensure their tenant was obeying the terms of the lease, do St Albans council not do this ?
You may also want to watch:
It seems that certain council workers enjoy a secure, well-paid job with nice pension paid for by the taxpayer, but when they have to do something to earn it they run scared. Replace them with people willing to act.
NAME and address supplied
- 1 Parish council reveals £250K financial scandal over 11 years
- 2 Battle of St Albans appears on new Wars of the Roses stamp
- 3 University student digs World War One trench in St Albans garden for film project close to his heart
- 4 Knife found in churchyard by litter pickers
- 5 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 6 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 7 Harpenden and Radlett rail passengers able to use barcode readers at stations
- 8 Swimming's coming home for Harpenden as club return to refurbished base
- 9 When will the election results be counted in Herts?
SIR - This is another example of buck passing by St Albans Council.
Cllr Joyce Lusby uses emotive word "Gestapo" to say the council cannot force people to tidy their gardens. Surely the council have a right as the owners of the property to enforce certain standards.
If not then they should have, lots of our money is wasted in repairing these properties. I bet Cllr Joyce Lusby does not live next door to the property in question, otherwise you can be sure that action would be taken.
Come on councillor, do what the people who elected you want.