Further bus woes
SIR – I sympathise with Graham McTavish s concerns about station car park charges and his observations about the lack of buses in Harpenden (Herts Advertiser, October 15). However, for several years during the 1990s I enjoyed what felt like my own private
SIR - I sympathise with Graham McTavish's concerns about station car park charges and his observations about the lack of buses in Harpenden (Herts Advertiser, October 15).
However, for several years during the 1990s I enjoyed what felt like my own private bus service, catching the last HA1 in Station Road at around 16.15pm, more often than not the only passenger.
It came as no surprise to me when the timetable was changed and this service cut due to lack of interest.
The last bus now leaves Church Green at 5.45pm, too early for most commuters, and certainly so for those of us who are unable to board a train out of London until 7pm, due to the restrictions imposed by First Capital Connect.
You may also want to watch:
Had there been more interest in a bus service at that time, the vacant land adjacent to Station Approach could have been used to provide much better access in and out of the station, including a bus stop for the local circular bus service.
Unfortunately, selling land for office blocks makes more money and, as Mr McTavish's comments on the costs of parking underline, money counts, people don't.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 Man 'tasered' outside Alban Arena after brawl, claim eyewitnesses
- 7 Record-breaking run for St Albans' Lizzie Bird in Olympic final
- 8 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 9 St Albans MP reveals: 'Oaklands College has no intention of continuing to provide nursery services'
- 10 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
NAME & ADDRESS