Further bus woes
SIR – I sympathise with Graham McTavish s concerns about station car park charges and his observations about the lack of buses in Harpenden (Herts Advertiser, October 15). However, for several years during the 1990s I enjoyed what felt like my own private
SIR - I sympathise with Graham McTavish's concerns about station car park charges and his observations about the lack of buses in Harpenden (Herts Advertiser, October 15).
However, for several years during the 1990s I enjoyed what felt like my own private bus service, catching the last HA1 in Station Road at around 16.15pm, more often than not the only passenger.
It came as no surprise to me when the timetable was changed and this service cut due to lack of interest.
The last bus now leaves Church Green at 5.45pm, too early for most commuters, and certainly so for those of us who are unable to board a train out of London until 7pm, due to the restrictions imposed by First Capital Connect.
You may also want to watch:
Had there been more interest in a bus service at that time, the vacant land adjacent to Station Approach could have been used to provide much better access in and out of the station, including a bus stop for the local circular bus service.
Unfortunately, selling land for office blocks makes more money and, as Mr McTavish's comments on the costs of parking underline, money counts, people don't.
- 1 More things which have gone but are not forgotten in St Albans
- 2 Your school heroes - praise for teachers and support staff during third lockdown
- 3 COVID-19 accounted for over 15 per cent of St Albans' deaths, says ONS data
- 4 Property Spotlight: A stunning conversion in the heart of Harpenden
- 5 14 St Albans things that are gone but not forgotten
- 6 'We are determined to get on top of this, and we will': Inside St Albans' COVID vaccination centre
- 7 Stamp duty holiday extension to be debated in Parliament
- 8 Restaurant delivers food to households self-isolating due to Covid
- 9 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 10 St Albans district has Herts' lowest COVID-19 infection rate
NAME & ADDRESS