Further bus woes
SIR – I sympathise with Graham McTavish s concerns about station car park charges and his observations about the lack of buses in Harpenden (Herts Advertiser, October 15). However, for several years during the 1990s I enjoyed what felt like my own private
SIR - I sympathise with Graham McTavish's concerns about station car park charges and his observations about the lack of buses in Harpenden (Herts Advertiser, October 15).
However, for several years during the 1990s I enjoyed what felt like my own private bus service, catching the last HA1 in Station Road at around 16.15pm, more often than not the only passenger.
It came as no surprise to me when the timetable was changed and this service cut due to lack of interest.
The last bus now leaves Church Green at 5.45pm, too early for most commuters, and certainly so for those of us who are unable to board a train out of London until 7pm, due to the restrictions imposed by First Capital Connect.
You may also want to watch:
Had there been more interest in a bus service at that time, the vacant land adjacent to Station Approach could have been used to provide much better access in and out of the station, including a bus stop for the local circular bus service.
Unfortunately, selling land for office blocks makes more money and, as Mr McTavish's comments on the costs of parking underline, money counts, people don't.
- 1 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 2 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 3 'Life-changing and life-enhancing' - St Albans woman reveals impact of Duke of Edinburgh award
- 4 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 5 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 6 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Hertfordshire town of Bishop's Stortford
- 8 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 9 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
NAME & ADDRESS