SIR, — We are all well aware of the rising cost in fuel to heat our homes — and doubtless aware of the ongoing rhetoric from government of how they are working to ease the burden, one way being to increase Winter Fuel Payments (WFP) to the over-60s. One 2
SIR, - We are all well aware of the rising cost in fuel to heat our homes - and doubtless aware of the ongoing rhetoric from government of how they are working to ease the burden, one way being to increase Winter Fuel Payments (WFP) to the over-60s. One 25kilo bag of solid fuel last winter cost £6.80, this winter it's £9.90.
In our household there are two individuals who are eligible for WFP - myself and my father-in-law. Last year he, being the home owner, received £200; I the second person, received £100, a reduced amount as one person over-60 in the household was already claiming. So we collectively received £300 - the same in fact as for a married couple as I understand it.
This year the payments have been increased from £200 and £100 to £250 and £125 respectively - or have they? The system for calculating the payments has changed: If two claimants co-habit, the total sum is not £375 but £250. If you receive Pension Credit, then only one person of a couple will receive the WFP. Now, if two cohabit, the £250 is divided equally - £125 each, and so with the existing rising fuel costs we are now receiving £50 less than last year. Didn't hear that being spouted from Whitehall. Thank you Mr Chancellor. Vote for whom?
You may also want to watch:
Woodland Drive, St Albans.
- 1 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 2 Harpenden's disappearing banks - will Barclays be next?
- 3 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 4 Harpenden High Street Covid road closures to end imminently
- 5 Brilliant Breakfast goes down a treat with the women of St Albans
- 6 Can you help police trace Park Street vandal?
- 7 Revealed: The most and least expensive places to buy a property in Hertfordshire
- 8 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 9 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 10 Allowance cuts for top councillors rejected by members