SIR, — We are all well aware of the rising cost in fuel to heat our homes — and doubtless aware of the ongoing rhetoric from government of how they are working to ease the burden, one way being to increase Winter Fuel Payments (WFP) to the over-60s. One 2
SIR, - We are all well aware of the rising cost in fuel to heat our homes - and doubtless aware of the ongoing rhetoric from government of how they are working to ease the burden, one way being to increase Winter Fuel Payments (WFP) to the over-60s. One 25kilo bag of solid fuel last winter cost £6.80, this winter it's £9.90.
In our household there are two individuals who are eligible for WFP - myself and my father-in-law. Last year he, being the home owner, received £200; I the second person, received £100, a reduced amount as one person over-60 in the household was already claiming. So we collectively received £300 - the same in fact as for a married couple as I understand it.
This year the payments have been increased from £200 and £100 to £250 and £125 respectively - or have they? The system for calculating the payments has changed: If two claimants co-habit, the total sum is not £375 but £250. If you receive Pension Credit, then only one person of a couple will receive the WFP. Now, if two cohabit, the £250 is divided equally - £125 each, and so with the existing rising fuel costs we are now receiving £50 less than last year. Didn't hear that being spouted from Whitehall. Thank you Mr Chancellor. Vote for whom?
You may also want to watch:
Woodland Drive, St Albans.
- 1 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 2 Green light given to new hospital project
- 3 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 4 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 5 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 6 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 7 Sustainability is key driver at golf club redevelopment
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 10 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure