SIR, — Luckily there is an alternative for many commuters dismayed by the recent St Albans City Station car park price increase and that is to go by bike. First Capital Connect (FCC) have been very busy, working with others, including the St Albans Cycle
SIR, - Luckily there is an alternative for many commuters dismayed by the recent St Albans City Station car park price increase and that is to go by bike. First Capital Connect (FCC) have been very busy, working with others, including the St Albans Cycle Campaign, to provide more free cycle parking facilities.
If you can, try cycling to the station and you will be joining the hundreds who daily arrive in that way. The advantages are numerous - apart from environmental, you will be saving the car park fees, fuel and running costs. Keeping fit this way means you needn't spend time and money at a gym either.
Neither the editor's comment, letter or article (Herts Advertiser, May 8) pointed out that the multi-storey car park is owned by Network Rail and the price rise reflects the obvious increased running costs when you trade a car park that was just a large field for a modern building.
The field was so big it seemed to provide infinite parking space, but now we have very limited capacity and it is predicted that all spaces will be full within a few months. So you won't be able to leave your car at the station unless you arrive very early - all the more reason to try to leave the car at home if you can.
You may also want to watch:
St Albans Cycle Campaign.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 2 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 3 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 4 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 5 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 6 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 7 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 8 'State-sanctioned abuse' - why the family court system is failing
- 9 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 10 Ticket holders need to provide their COVID status for entry to this year's Slam Dunk Festival in Hatfield