SIR, — Luckily there is an alternative for many commuters dismayed by the recent St Albans City Station car park price increase and that is to go by bike. First Capital Connect (FCC) have been very busy, working with others, including the St Albans Cycle
SIR, - Luckily there is an alternative for many commuters dismayed by the recent St Albans City Station car park price increase and that is to go by bike. First Capital Connect (FCC) have been very busy, working with others, including the St Albans Cycle Campaign, to provide more free cycle parking facilities.
If you can, try cycling to the station and you will be joining the hundreds who daily arrive in that way. The advantages are numerous - apart from environmental, you will be saving the car park fees, fuel and running costs. Keeping fit this way means you needn't spend time and money at a gym either.
Neither the editor's comment, letter or article (Herts Advertiser, May 8) pointed out that the multi-storey car park is owned by Network Rail and the price rise reflects the obvious increased running costs when you trade a car park that was just a large field for a modern building.
The field was so big it seemed to provide infinite parking space, but now we have very limited capacity and it is predicted that all spaces will be full within a few months. So you won't be able to leave your car at the station unless you arrive very early - all the more reason to try to leave the car at home if you can.
You may also want to watch:
St Albans Cycle Campaign.
- 1 St Albans named among UK's coldest cities
- 2 Needle spiking incident alleged at St Albans nightclub
- 3 11 questions to decide how St Albans you are!
- 4 White Horse landlords ride off into sunset after 10 years
- 5 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 6 City centre road closures decision 'not a district issue'
- 7 From supplying secret agents to headmaster's secretary, Patricia celebrates centenary
- 8 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 9 Our local wildlife needs your voice!
- 10 Apply for free tickets to be in the audience of The Masked Singer UK in Hertfordshire