SIR – Conservative councillors are challenging Herts Highways seemingly spending an additional �15,000 on consultants fees on a raised island at the A1081 Redbourn Lane only costing �10,000 of construction costs. This is all funded from development monie
SIR - Conservative councillors are challenging Herts Highways seemingly spending an additional �15,000 on consultants' fees on a raised island at the A1081 Redbourn Lane only costing �10,000 of construction costs.
This is all funded from development monies from Hatching Green housing on Green Belt and does not appear to myself with civil engineering expertise good value. The raised island appears a standard detail understood used elsewhere in the district and the only extra costs should be some semi-automatic traffic monitoring, a report and some site supervision.
�15,000 happens to be about the cost of a badly needed footpath along the same road to Harpenden Rugby Club used by children at weekend training and for large events. It is where in the last five years three people have died directly due to traffic incidents.
This footpath has had the full backing of the rugby club and police for the last two years but not Herts Highways. Other funding is not available as it is seen to be HH's responsibility.
You may also want to watch:
Recent other differences with HH technical engineers, namely on Common Ponds liability (�150k), farmers market access, Batford Mill flooding, land ownership facilitating Redourn Lane crossing, 30mph on higher Wheathampsted Road, associated crossing and 40mph for safety of new cycleway all resolved means that it is 6-0 in our favour.
This is the seventh and using the words of Mr Eastwood to HH, "do you feel lucky?" or "make my day". Seriously the fees seem very excessive and the need for a footpath imperative.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre
Oakfield Road, Harpenden