SIR, — I m shocked to see that your poll about banning children from football in school is 70-plus per cent in favour. I am a mother of three children. Surely in this day and age our children are so protected. If we take away any risk of danger from their
SIR, - I'm shocked to see that your poll about banning children from football in school is 70-plus per cent in favour. I am a mother of three children. Surely in this day and age our children are so protected. If we take away any risk of danger from their lives, how exactly do they learn to deal with it or to keep themselves safe? Surely we all learn about riding a bike by falling off a couple of times?
We have taken competitiveness out of our sports day. Now we are considering taking sports out of school. What are we teaching our children about life? Both my son and daughter have played football at school through choice. I wouldn't want anyone's choice to play sport to be taken away.
Yes they have both had a few knocks and bruises, but neither would have given up. Nothing is achieved in life if you don't risk a little and think out of the box. We are not encouraging our children to be forward thinking and challenging if we wrap them in cotton wool!
You may also want to watch:
Howard Close, St Albans.
- 1 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 2 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest
- 3 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 4 Oaklands College being investigated for breach of planning over nursery closure
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 7 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 8 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 9 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 10 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park