SIR, — I was very interested to read John Sidnell s memories of Garden Fields School in the 1950 (Herts Advertiser, February 28). I attended the school in the 1960s and was in lovely Miss Hall s class in 1966. I remember her vividly — she often wore a lon
SIR, - I was very interested to read John Sidnell's memories of Garden Fields School in the 1950 (Herts Advertiser, February 28). I attended the school in the 1960s and was in lovely Miss Hall's class in 1966. I remember her vividly - she often wore a long blue coat with a matching blue bonnet which even in those days looked a little old-fashioned.
She still taught in the classroom which Mr Sidnell describes and a particular joy for my best friend, Geraldine Martin, and myself, was to bring our plastic farm animals from home into class and leave them in the wooden hand-made farm in the corner of the room.
We were still taught "tables" then - it was rather scary to stand up and recite them, especially if Mr Green came to check on us.
Miss Hall used to read us The Enchanted Wood by Enid Blyton. I can remember being entranced by this. There was really something special about her.
You may also want to watch:
I still have my handwriting practice diaries with her comments and also a teapot she once gave me - she lived several doors from us in Grange Street and we used to help her carry her bags to school.
I remember the day that Mr Green announced that she had died - he lined us all up outside in the playground to tell us - and how shocked we were. She had been feeling unwell for a couple of days and my mum fetched the doctor for her but she died in St Albans Hospital. As far as I know she was still teaching up to a week before her death - despite being 78!
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 6 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 9 When Nicole Kidman played the Russian mail order bride of a St Albans bank clerk
- 10 The latest court results for the St Albans area
I'll always have fond memories of her.
MAUREEN WIESNER (née ALLEN),
Great Shelford, Cambridgeshire.