SIR, — I can well understand the fears of those people in Wheathampstead who are unhappy about the changes to flight patterns proposed for the easterly take-offs from Luton Airport, which are likely to affect the village. People who do not sleep well at n
SIR, - I can well understand the fears of those people in Wheathampstead who are unhappy about the changes to flight patterns proposed for the easterly take-offs from Luton Airport, which are likely to affect the village. People who do not sleep well at night must be vulnerable to any extra noise that the changes may cause. There are also fears of an increase in air pollution that extra flights might cause, especially to those with health problems.
It is felt by many that the information being given for us to consider in the consultation that NATS are carrying out is not as clear or open as it should be. Some folk feel that NATS may well be being forced to bring in changes affecting our area because of a bigger need to make room for flights from other airports. It is said that the need to accommodate an increase in traffic is not part of the consultation, but there is no doubt that more flights do need to be accommodated somehow.
NATS are unlikely to stop their plans altogether just because we ask them to. However, I agree with John Davis (Herts Advertiser, May 22) that they may be persuaded to "tweak" the scheme somewhat to make it less unpleasant for Wheathampstead if a large enough number of people were to ask for this.
Thanks to pressure from MP Peter Lilley, we now have an extension to the time available for response to the consultation - June 19. I believe you can log on to www.nats.co.uk/TCNconsultation
You may also want to watch:
Tudor Road, Wheathampstead.
- 1 Driver dies in London Colney crash
- 2 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 3 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 4 St Albans indies pick up six awards in regional competition
- 5 Which St Albans nursery has been voted best in the East of England?
- 6 St Albans South Signal Box reopens to the public
- 7 National Trust set to open at the Abbey Theatre in St Albans
- 8 St Albans named among England's most expensive property hotspots
- 9 Woman arrested after wielding broken bottle in St Albans fight
- 10 In pictures: First Comedy Garden is a complete laughfest