SIR, — Re traffic schemes in London Road, St Vincent Drive, and Milehouse Lane, St Albans. Households near the above roads in St Albans will have received circular letters from Herts Highways suggesting ways of reducing the alleged high number of accident
SIR, - Re traffic schemes in London Road, St Vincent Drive, and Milehouse Lane, St Albans. Households near the above roads in St Albans will have received circular letters from Herts Highways suggesting ways of reducing the alleged high number of accidents at the junctions in London Road.
One proposal is to prohibit right turns into and out of St Vincent Drive. I am totally opposed to this suggestion on the grounds that there is no alternative route which motorists can reasonably be expected to take. Either we shall have to use Admiral's Walk, which is a narrow residential road, unsuitable for two streams of traffic, or take a long detour through other residential roads via Cell Barnes Lane. Both these options will create longer journeys with increased pollution, chances for accidents, delay, petrol consumption and annoyance to householders in the roads affected. They may look all right from the desks of the staff of Herts Highways in Welwyn Garden City but to the real people involved in real life they are unacceptable.
I would like to urge all residents to visit the exhibition at the fire station from today (Thursday), January 31, to Saturday, February 2, and complete the questionnaires to make known the views of the council tax payers, residents, and electors.
There are three other options which would be more suitable of which I prefer Option 4 - the construction of one or two roundabouts. But the introduction of no right turns, which was strongly opposed when previously suggested in 1998, must now be thoroughly rejected.
You may also want to watch:
People unable to visit the exhibition can obtain questionnaires from Herts Highways, on 01707 356240. This is important in the interests of democracy. We must let the county council know what the people want.
- 1 City centre pub opens new roof garden
- 2 Urgent care upgrade at St Albans City Hospital moves ahead
- 3 Driver disqualified after St Albans crash
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Harpenden couple donate vital equipment for maternity ward
- 6 Welcome to the House of Poutine, St Albans' newest city centre eatery
- 7 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 8 Harpenden card cloning suspects arrested
- 9 Diedhiou destroys Casuals' dreams to grab replay for St Albans City
- 10 A New York state of mind
Nelson Avenue, St Albans.