SIR – At the end of September the drains near the Holiday Inn on the A5 near Markyate overflowed – a regular occurrence. Usually the footpath near the bus stop becomes a river of effluent and toilet paper of various colours. However, on this occasion, a m
SIR - At the end of September the drains near the Holiday Inn on the A5 near Markyate overflowed - a regular occurrence.
Usually the footpath near the bus stop becomes a river of effluent and toilet paper of various colours. However, on this occasion, a mess of human faeces carpeted the path (along with the toilet paper).
When I saw it I assumed (stupidly) that someone was doing something about it. I saw it again a week later (when I got the bus in daylight). That evening I went to the hotel and spoke to the manager who said he would have the mess "cleaned up immediately." It was still there a week later so I phoned Dacorum Council which covers this area. They told me it was "nothing to do with them".
When I pointed out that it was a health-and-safety matter, they put me through to the environment department - who did nothing. I also phoned the clerk to the local parish council who spoke to the manager of the hotel. The parish clerk said she though it was a matter for the sewage works...
You may also want to watch:
Some of the excreta has been washed to the sides of the footpath but it is still spread all over it.
Who takes responsibility? No action on such a health hazard proves that "health and safety" is used for political reasons - or job creation.
- 1 7 of the best brunches in St Albans and Harpenden
- 2 Ammunition found in bag on St Albans street
- 3 'Abusive and aggressive' St Albans man given Criminal Behaviour Order
- 4 Teenager strangled in attack in St Albans park
- 5 Harpenden's Olympic hero watches daughter win gold
- 6 Bee inspired by new display at St Albans restaurant
- 7 150 homes plan for Green Belt land in north St Albans is approved
- 8 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 9 Why has it taken so long for Young's to open St Albans pub?
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
Old Watling Street, Flamstead