Fate of elderly
SIR, — The latest proposal for Caroline Sharpe House is to build an extra care facility on the site. The present building will be demolished and a new, possibly three-storey building, would be erected in its place. Residents of Caroline Sharpe House have
SIR, - The latest proposal for Caroline Sharpe House is to build an extra care facility on the site. The present building will be demolished and a new, possibly three-storey building, would be erected in its place. Residents of Caroline Sharpe House have been promised, "if they are still with us", that they will be able to return in due course.
St Albans District Council is now looking for alternative accommodation for us, either permanent or temporary, while construction work takes place. However, as yet, Herts County Council agreement has not been given, they do not have a firm Housing Association to work with, and no actual plans for the site are ready. Therefore no planning permission application has been drawn up and submitted.
If half of the residents are moved out of Caroline Sharpe House by the Spring of 2009, and the rest by the Summer of 2009, it is still highly unlikely that work on the site will start before 2010 or even 2011. In these circumstances why not guarantee us a further two years tenancy while these plans are put in place? Residents could move out for the minimum duration when construction work takes place, and possibly return within 12 months. If the tenants are moved out now, there will be a loss to the council of even more rental income during the next 18 months to two years, such loss being one of the reasons for the imminent closure of Caroline Sharpe House.
You may also want to watch:
Caroline Sharpe House, Chiltern Road, St Albans.
- 1 St Albans violent crime: Teen drugs gang behind spate of attacks on rivals found guilty
- 2 St Albans violent crime: 'Intervention needed to break the cycle of grooming'
- 3 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 4 £36 million loan to refinance Maltings Shopping Centre
- 5 Man given Criminal Behaviour Order for being drunk in St Albans
- 6 Harpenden arrest in connection with St Albans council fraud probe
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Hertfordshire
- 8 Area Guide: The popular Marshalswick area of St Albans
- 9 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 10 12 facts you might not known about Batchwood Hall Covid vaccination centre