Facts on MP
SIR – Having been away from St Albans for a few days, I have only just heard the upshot of the recent meeting between MP Anne Main and members of the local Conservative association. This meeting was apparently aimed at defending her against the alleged a
SIR - Having been away from St Albans for a few days, I have only just heard the upshot of the recent meeting between MP Anne Main and members of the local Conservative association.
This meeting was apparently aimed at defending her against the alleged accusations of abuse of parliamentary commons allowances, relating particularly to her flat in St Albans. She registered this as her second home, costing the taxpayer several thousands in mortgage interest, despite having a primary residence in Beaconsfield only about 25 miles away.
She also apparently allowed her daughter to live rent-free in the St Albans flat, while claiming a 10 per cent discount on the flat's council tax.
Whatever the truth in these allegations, the support or otherwise of the Tory supporters in that meeting is of little concern to the majority of St Albans residents. She may have presented a cogent explanation of any alleged wrong doings, and has apparently survived the threat of deselection. But as our current MP, Mrs Main is empowered to care for all her constituents. Whatever the arguments given to local Tory activists, she has never presented the general public with any detailed refutation of her alleged wrong doings, and if she is to stand at the next election we are entitled to know the facts.
You may also want to watch:
Tippendell Lane, St Albans
- 1 What are our district's cases like now lockdown restrictions have eased?
- 2 Elderly care charity set to close due to pandemic pressures
- 3 Flashmob celebrates re-opening of St Albans high street
- 4 What are the district's best pub gardens to visit from April 12?
- 5 April 12: Your guide to what can open from Monday when COVID lockdown rules ease
- 6 Punch Taverns calls time on White Lion pub team
- 7 Local talent packs out the bill for Harpenden festival
- 8 Mumpreneurs launch reusable colouring sheets to protect environment
- 9 Major redevelopment underway at listed former offices in St Albans
- 10 9 baby and toddler groups for St Albans and Harpenden