Facts on MP
SIR – Having been away from St Albans for a few days, I have only just heard the upshot of the recent meeting between MP Anne Main and members of the local Conservative association. This meeting was apparently aimed at defending her against the alleged a
SIR - Having been away from St Albans for a few days, I have only just heard the upshot of the recent meeting between MP Anne Main and members of the local Conservative association.
This meeting was apparently aimed at defending her against the alleged accusations of abuse of parliamentary commons allowances, relating particularly to her flat in St Albans. She registered this as her second home, costing the taxpayer several thousands in mortgage interest, despite having a primary residence in Beaconsfield only about 25 miles away.
She also apparently allowed her daughter to live rent-free in the St Albans flat, while claiming a 10 per cent discount on the flat's council tax.
Whatever the truth in these allegations, the support or otherwise of the Tory supporters in that meeting is of little concern to the majority of St Albans residents. She may have presented a cogent explanation of any alleged wrong doings, and has apparently survived the threat of deselection. But as our current MP, Mrs Main is empowered to care for all her constituents. Whatever the arguments given to local Tory activists, she has never presented the general public with any detailed refutation of her alleged wrong doings, and if she is to stand at the next election we are entitled to know the facts.
Tippendell Lane, St Albans
- 1 Seventies St Albans is backdrop to new novel about secret Nazi treasure
- 2 Extinction Rebellion protestors scale roof of Barclays in St Albans
- 3 Local restaurants snap up accolades in Curry Awards
- 4 The latest court results for the St Albans area
- 5 Batchwood Golf Course to be redesigned after houses hit by balls
- 6 1,000 new homes planned next to village
- 7 St Albans haberdashery store celebrates 50 years
- 8 Future of Harpenden Public Halls site revealed
- 9 Yellow warning for snow and wind in Herts as Storm Arwen sweeps in
- 10 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing